Wheel horse

Old 01-29-11, 05:40 AM
Wheel horse

I HAVE A WHEEL HORSE C-101 THAT WONT START.DETERMINED BY CHANGING COILS THAT MINE WAS BAD[PROBABLY ORIGINAL-THIS IS A 1979]SO THAT NOW HAVE A GOOD CLEAR SPARK WHERE BEFORE BY GROUNDING THE CONNECTED SPARK PLUG I DIDNT.SO I HAVE A NEW COIL WITH INTERNAL RESISTOR,NEW POINT SET[GAPPED AT .20],AND NEW CONDENSER,YET IT WILL NOT EVEN ALMOST START.ENGINE IS KOHLER K241 10HP. IDEAS....?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-11, 06:03 AM
Try a little gas down the plug hole, then no choke, half throttle.

Old 01-29-11, 08:01 AM
whl hrse

thks-yes i think it is afuel issue but my experience with another kohler engine i owned before showed me that the tiny fuel pump on it really floods the fuel to the plug so i put a shutoff and adjust it a little at a time...........

Old 01-29-11, 08:35 AM
those small fuel pumps can be rebuilt. now that you have spark , take plug out put a little gas in it. and see if it fires. Can you take breather off and spray gas in the carb. from there.
If so keep in running that way for a min. and see if it picks up the gas. Have you checked
fuel filter, check fuel for cracks, and can you blow through them. I left my WH- D160 set out last fall and there was a nest in my breather. I also have WH 101--WH-157-- and a 1953 ride away senior WH. Later Paul

Old 01-29-11, 10:19 AM
Those pumps only put out about 1 1/2 lbs of pressure. If the float and float valve are in decent shape the pump won't flood the engine.

Old 01-29-11, 07:04 PM
so far i have done the following with the fuel system: drained and replaced all fuel, installed in-line fuel shutoff,sprayed starting fluid into breather[with and without fuel on]. on my my previous kohler 10hp 90% of the time it was a struggle to get it going when the temp was below 40 degrees.they are superior motors in every respect but cold starting. i know i am getting fuel on this one the same way as that old one and that in the past,once i got it started it ran fine in all positions,from slow throttle to wide open................?

Old 01-29-11, 08:08 PM
Shutoff the fuel, pull the plug, choke off, full throttle, spin it over about ten times.

Teaspoon of fuel down plug hole, put plug back in, choke off, half throttle, try to start. If it tries, half choke, half throttle, fuel on. Try to start.

Search this Thread