spark plug compression release

Old 01-29-11, 10:09 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
spark plug compression release

I have Ithis engine were a small amount of air is coming out of the seal were the spark plug meets the cylander head during the compression cycle. It is the correct size for the engine and is brand new. What can I do other than weld the spark plug to the engine

Old 01-29-11, 10:55 AM
I
Remove the plug and clean the cylinder head surface where the plug goes then get a new washer/gasket for the plug. What engine do you have?

Old 01-29-11, 11:38 AM
T
Its a briggs engine that's from '73. I have never been able to remove the washer from the spark plug. How do I do that.

Old 01-29-11, 01:15 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Just put a new plug with a new gasket in it. But I think you have either stripped threads or the worn size plug or possibly a crack up the threads.

Old 01-29-11, 01:20 PM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The sparkplug

Can you screw in the plug by hand? Is the seat clean and smooth? Did someone over tighten a plug at some point and stretch the threads? Just some thoughts.
Sid

Old 01-29-11, 06:41 PM
T
I can screw in the spark plug in by hand. I noticed that the old plug was releasing air so i got a new one. At this point it would be really nice if i could just have a reference for some sealent that would close up the leak since it is such a small leak.

Old 01-29-11, 08:14 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
I'm afraid it goes beyond that. What ever has happened to the threads on the plug hole to cause the small amount of air to escape will likely have compromised the fit to where the plug could blow out while the engine is running.

If that is the case it will have to have a helicoil or some other thread repair done to it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: