How do you remove the impeller on MTD snow thrower?

Old 02-01-11, 10:13 AM
How do you remove the impeller on MTD snow thrower?

I have a 1992 MTD 8 hp snow thrower model 640F. The impeller blades are bent so that it isn't throwing all the snow out the chute and causing the augers to clog. I would like to remove the impeller for repair or replacement, but can't figure out how to remove it. What is the proper procedure?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 12:23 PM
To remove the impeller, you must "split" the snow blower in half. First, you must remove the belts. There are 2 bolts on each side at the rear of the scoop. Prop up the handle bars so they don't come crashing to the floor when you remove the bolts. Next you need to remove the belt pulley from the impeller. This could be difficult as it is most likely rusted on. Then there should be 3 bolts that hold on the bearing. Now you have to remove the bolts that hold on the auger. Then slide everything out the front. The impeller may be held on the shaft with bolts or spring pins. Pins have to be driven out with a punch. Getting the impeller off the shaft can be the hardest part as the will be rusted on the shaft. Usually need heat to remove from the shaft. It is a very labor intensive process.

Old 02-04-11, 09:32 AM
Thank you for the reply, Indy. Unfortunately I missed it--I kept looking at my account which says there were zero replys this thread. Anyway, I did figure out that the impeller was held on by spring pins, which took a half hour of pounding to remove (had to remove the chute first to get at them with a punch and hammer), but then as you said, the impeller is rusted on so tightly that I was unable to remove it, even using heat from a propane torch. Wound up causing enough damage to the shaft that I had to admit defeat and go out and buy a new snow thrower. Since worn/bent iimpellers seem to be a fairly common problem, I think I will remove the impeller on this one right away and coat the shaft with anti-seize.

Search this Thread