Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

oil leak governor crank

AK

02-11-11, 04:24 PM   #1  
oil leak governor crank

I noticed, after removing the gas tank from the Briggs/Stratton engine of my pressure washer, evidence of an oil leak with some oil accumulated on the mounting frame for the gas tank. It's apparent that it's coming from where the pen is pointing in this picture: http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1526.jpg
Seems to be from right where the governor crank (I believe it is called) extends out from within the engine to connect to the governor lever. There is possibly a bushing or maybe bushing seal of some kind that leaks. When I press down a little on the governor lever above where I'm pointing, oil will seep out a little around the circular shaft insert area there, so I would imagine when the engine is operating there could be some rather significant leakage occuring from here (I've noticed some slight oil dribble marks going down onto the crankcase cover from up in this area before and had been wondering how they're getting there).

Anyone here seen this kind of thing very often or maybe know how it happens, and/or what it's probably going to entail to fix it?

Sponsored Links

WI

02-12-11, 06:35 AM   #2  
Some engines do have seals on this shaft but I believe that there is none on yours without the engine model numbers. Check your crankcase vent tube for kinking. If you are building up pressure it will force oil out wherever it can thus the bubbles. The oil is splashed arround inside the crankcase so some is lubing the shaft through the crankcase and a very minor amount will accumulate dirt on the outside. Nothing that is running down the side of the engine when running.

AK

02-12-11, 08:31 AM   #3  
Model #150212-0122-E9. I observed, and then wiped off, a considerable puddle or small pooling of oil there on topside of the mounting frame for the gas tank. It apparently accumulates there after splashing/squirting out through where the governor shaft protrudes out through the engine (where I was pointing in the picture) and then on through the opening there in the mounting frame. It's more than a just a slight trace, more than a little bubbling I'm afraid, seeping out accumulating dirt. Although still apparently a relatively small/minor leak, it does make a mess and needs to be fixed. But I think this model may not have a crankshaft vent tube as you mention. If so where might it be? Thanks Camino

WI

02-21-11, 06:32 AM   #4  
Check the tube that goes between the air cleaner back plate and the engine (possibly the valve cover on this engine) for possible crimping off. The is the breather tube and is shown in the air cleaner section in the parts lookup. A crimped tube will cause crankcase pressure and force more oil than normal out arround the governor shaft. There is a bushing on the shaft but no seal.

AK

02-21-11, 08:30 AM   #5  
The breather tube, between the valve cover and the air cleaner back plate, is not crimped or kinked and has clear passage.

Search this Thread