Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cleaning Hydraulic Tank On Wood Splitter

OR

02-19-11, 09:00 PM   #1  
Cleaning Hydraulic Tank On Wood Splitter

I recently bought an older wood splitter and have begun rejuvinating it. After changing the ignition from points and condenser to electronic ignition and rebuilding the carburetor the engine runs great. Now I'm in the process of trying to clean up the hydraulic system. The hydraulic fluid was contaminated with water and who knows what else which left about 1/2 inch of nasty sludge in the bottom of the tank. I think the hoses, pump and cylinder probably have some type of yuck built up in them as well.
Would anyone happen to know a way of removing the sludge from the bottom of the tank and a way to flush the hoses and pump? The tank is welded to the frame and can't be removed. There is a 1 inch hole in the top for checking and adding the fluid and a 1 inch hole in the bottom for draining the tank. I drained the oil out easily enough but the sludge is still in there and the holes are too small to get anything in there to scrape it out. I could probably spray something in there but I don't know anything that would disolve that sludge.
Any ideas, suggestions, known methods and/or information for a remedy would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
JWATTS

Sponsored Links

FL

02-20-11, 06:01 AM   #2  
If this is a tow behind splitter, Fill the tank with a half gallon or so mineral spirits and let it sit over night. Then tow it around the block/yard a few times finding all the bumps you can to slosh the spirits around, Then drain and check then do it again if it's still not clean enough.

For the pump and hose's, I wouldn't think there would be much sitting in them since the oil steadily moves through them. You could remove the return line from the tank and put it into a drain pan, Crank the engine over without starting it to run new oil through the pump and hoses running any old oil into the pan then re-install the hose.

Good Luck

Search this Thread