Starter Fluid?

Old 02-25-11, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Starter Fluid?

Trying to start a 1 year old Sears B&S push mower that's been setting since November. It ran fine then. No luck so far. It does have a primer. Would spritzing the air filter with starter fluid as a last resort be a no-no?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-11, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be better to remove the filter and squirt it directly into the carb. If it fires and then stops, it is time to clean the carb. I trust that you added stabilizer to the gas before putting it up for the winter.

Also, I disconnect the plug wire in the off season - to remind me to clean the plug before going back into service.

Last edited by goldstar; 02-25-11 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Added thought
Old 02-25-11, 12:19 PM
Starter

If at all possibile upon the last use of the season run the machine dry ethier by draining the tank, then running the remainder through the engine, or if you have a fuel shutoff close it then run the enging dry. I do this and I never have any trouble. A little gumout once in a while doesn't hurt.
Sid

Old 02-25-11, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, directly in to the carb. I thought of that after I posted because with the modern manufactures love of plastic there may be some plastic in the air filter. Yes, that would only be after changing the gas and checking the spark
plug. Wore my self out pulling the rope may not get back to it today but thanks.

Old 03-01-11, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Love it when things finally work. Makes my whole day. Air filter was super gunked up. Cleaned it and it started first pull. Thanks guys for your replies.