Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

compress valve spring?

AK

02-25-11, 12:09 PM   #1  
compress valve spring?

I need to replace an exhaust valve spring retainer on my Briggs and Stratton OHV engine and would like to be able to do it without removing the head. I don't have a valve spring compressor tool and don't have access to one otherwise. Is there any other trick that might work to accomplish this? Thanks

Sponsored Links

FL

02-25-11, 05:51 PM   #2  
Hello sgull

You can rotate the engine by hand until you feel compression, Then remove the spark plug. Insert a small screwdriver into the spark plug hole then continue to rotate the engine by hand until you feel the piston a couple inches from being at the top of the cylinder, Now feed six or so inches of new #4.5 or #5 recoil rope into the spark plug hole leaving a little hanging out for removal. Rotate the engine the same direction by hand until the piston hits the rope and the engine stops turning.

Now you can remove the rocker arms and push down on each side of the spring retainer with your thumbs and shift it so it releases the valve stem. The retainer can be re-installed the same way, Just make sure the engine doesn't turn while you have the spring retainer off or the valve could be pushed into the cylinder. That would require head removal to retrieve the valve from the cylinder.

Good Luck

AK

02-25-11, 07:39 PM   #3  
Thanks 31YTech,
I'll have the opportunity tomorrow to give your suggested method a try. Then I'll post back how things went.

AK

02-26-11, 10:15 AM   #4  
Great! That worked good for me. Thanks again for that handy tip.

FL

02-26-11, 02:55 PM   #5  
Good Deal !

I knew it would work just fine....

Search this Thread