Kawasaki engine smoking

Old 03-07-11, 03:28 PM
Kawasaki engine smoking

Hi All,

I bought a John Deere LX188 last spring. I used it all last summer. It runs great. Only thing I would like to fix is that it smokes some. About 1 out of 3 times when I start it, it smokes quite a bit for about 15 seconds. Quite a bellow of white smoke at times. Then it clears up and stops smoking. I don't notice any smoke at medium to full throttle. Then if I throttle it down before turning it off, more white smoke. Wondering if it could just be valve seals or is it rings. Any advice is appreciated.

Engine numbers :
FD501V-AS00
FD501V016100
Kawasaki liquid cooled v twin 17 HP

Thanks,
Cory

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-11, 06:34 PM
Cory most times white smoke indicates water. I would look at the head gasket. It may be seeping a bit when the engine is hot letting the moisture collect in the cylinder. Possibly when it is running above idle there is enough leakage of cylinder pressure to keep the leak at bay until you throttle down or shut it off.

Old 03-08-11, 12:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Mine does it too (Lx188). It's oil on mine, valve seals leaking a bit of oil into the cylinder when the engine is off.

Old 03-08-11, 01:36 AM
Mine smells like oil. That's why I was thinking valve seals. Are they easy to change on my engine.

Old 03-08-11, 07:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Pretty easy, just be sure to put the piston up so you don't lose the valve in the cylinder while the retainer is off. (Or hook an air hose to the cylinder to keep the valves pushed out... the preferred way).