Electric Lawn Mower Purchase Decision

Old 03-10-11, 09:54 AM
Electric Lawn Mower Purchase Decision

I've decided to take over my landscaping this year due to the costs associated with hiring someone. I have a small lot, 40x100, of which only 2000 sq. ft. is actual grass. I use to do all the lawn care for my parents when I was kid, and used all electric tools. I know some people will be critical, but I was happy with the performance and liked not having to worry about maintenance, fuel, etc. The last time I did this, had to be 20 years ago, so I'm assuming a lot has changed.

I pretty much selected everything with the exception of the lawn mower. I was originally going to go with a corded model, but the cordless caught my eye. It seems there are lot more cordless models on the market today. Have they taken over as the standard? How do they perform compared to corded models? Are they worth the extra $150-200? Please share your experiences.

These are the models I'm considering. Let me know what you think. (Note: all of these models are Consumer Reports Top Picks)

Corded:
Black and Decker MM875

Cordless:
Black and Decker CM1936
Black and Decker CM1836
Toro 20360

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-11, 06:28 PM
Sorry to have waited so long before answering, I usually do not check this sub-forum.

I got a Black & Decker cordless mower, model CMM1000 back around 1998 or so and it is still running fine on the original battery. It is a 19 inch cut but does not have power drive. I can mow my yard at least twice without recharging and quite likely more than twice, I just have a habit of plugging the charger in after the second mowing.

I'll admit I'm not too diligent about mowing, I have used this machine to bull through grass 8-10 inches (or more) high by raising the front (push down on the handle) and then lowering it onto a clump of grass. It takes this abuse without complaint. I wouldn't even consider a corded (or gasoline) mower. BTW, my actual amount of grassed area that I cut is probably around 2400 to 2500 square feet.

Old 03-26-11, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator
Thats cool!!! I read the reviews on the mowers you posted.

The Toro not so good. These mowers are heavy also and the B and D 1936 got all good reviews.

Thanks because I had no idea they had cordless mowers. The 1936 might be my next mower.

Cordless Lawn Mower | User Reviews, Articles & Buyers Guide

I really like this.

Amazon.com: All Power America APT1216 GoMow 16-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Reel Lawn Mower with Grass Catcher: Patio, Lawn & Garden

This is funny

Amazon.com: Friendly Robotics RL850 RoboMower 21-Inch Automatic Cordless Electric Lawn Mower: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Mike NJ

Old 03-27-11, 06:01 AM
Group Moderator
Interesting. I too am looking for an electric mower for a very small (about 600 square feet) area. Up to now I've only been considering corded models since I hated the idea & cost of having to replace batteries after 4 or 5 years but if Furd's is still going on original batteries I guess I'll have to give the cordless models a look.

Old 03-27-11, 11:58 PM
Yep, still using the original batteries. I took the shroud off last year just to check it out and clean it up. I don't remember the size off hand but it is a pair of 12 volt sealed lead-acid batteries. Probably AGM technology. Just don't let the battery get too far into the red while using or you WILL damage the battery. As soon as the battery meter drops into the red stop and recharge.

Old 03-28-11, 07:53 AM
I mowed the lawn for an old gentleman that lived in a retirement community. His lot might have been 50' x 100' with maybe 2/3's of that grass. I used his B&D corded electric mower. My first ever experience with one, and I was impressed. For a small lot, they work well. As to buying a battery/cordless model? I'd keep in mind that you can buy TWO corded models for the cost of one battery model. Yeah, the cord is a bit of a hassle, but easily gotten used to in my opinion.

Old 03-29-11, 05:38 PM
My previous house was about 900 square feet on a shy 1/4 acre that was mostly grass. I used a Sunbeam 18 inch corded mower for years, in fact I ended up beating that mower to a point just short of death. I did have a L O N G extension cord and receptacles all around the house. It would take me two days to mow the entire yard and it still had several places that needed a string trimmer. Truth is, that yard was perfect for a small (25 inch cut) rider that I used for a few years before the engine died.

I got the B&D cordless on some kind of coupon deal, maybe 20% off or so and that is how to buy one. Anyway, I could easily mow half the yard before it started to slow from a low battery and then I would put it back in the garage and plug in the charger. I would finish mowing the nest day. It was okay because by the time the mower battery was starting to flag my own internal battery was doing the same so it was a good excuse to take the rest of the evening off.

So, buy the mower when it is on sale AND you can get a % off coupon to boot.

Old 03-30-11, 05:17 AM
Group Moderator
It seems I've been spending every spare moment online reviewing electric mowers after I found this thread. Neuton currently has their smaller CE5 on sale for $299. The bigger CE6 for $449 is more than I'd like to spend. I was all ready to get the smaller but the reviews for it seem to be all over the place and has scared me back into considering corded models. Right now the Black & Decker MM1800 or MM875 are leading the pack though I like the hard shell grass catcher of the Worx WG718.

Last edited by Pilot Dane; 03-30-11 at 05:19 AM. Reason: did a link incorrectly
Old 04-07-11, 09:23 AM
Pilot, a few years ago I was in contact with a woman that wanted a cordless electric mower and I told her about my B&D. She eventually bought a Neuton and was fairly happy with it although she said it didn't do well in taller grass. I don't know what model she bought and I have since lost contact with her so I can't find out any more.

I personally would be a bit hesitant concerning the Worx. I like their infomercials (or maybe I just like Robin Hartl ) but the reviews I have read are less than glowing concerning any of their products.

Old 04-07-11, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Since my area is so small I think I'll break down and get a corded model. Of course I may be cursing that decision the third or fourth time the cord gets mowed over.

Old 04-07-11, 11:29 PM
If you get a corded model be sure to get a large enough gauge extension cord. I personally won't buy anything smaller than a #14 gauge cord and I prefer #12. Don't get a 100 foot cord if a 50 or 75 footer will reach from the receptacle to the farthest point. Nothing will kill an electric motor faster than using too small of an extension cord.