30" Murray ride-on mower starts on "Choke," dies when moved to "Fast"

Old 03-25-11, 04:29 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
30" Murray ride-on mower starts on "Choke," dies when moved to "Fast"

Hi everyone. I just replaced the dead battery in my Murray ride-on model 387002x92A (Briggs/Stratton engine). I also put gas into the tank, which looked totally empty and dry.

It starts just fine when the throttle is on "Choke" but dies out when the throttle is moved anywhere. I usually move it to "Fast" once it starts. I've always assumed I don't want to run it on Choke.

I'd really appreciate any ideas. I've got to get my lawn mowed soon. Thanks!

Old 03-25-11, 04:40 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Sounds like you have some varnish buildup.
I would suggest putting some SeaFoam in the fuel tank, a little stronger than recommended on the can, then run the engine on choke or without for 30 minutes or so to see if it clears up, otherwise you will need to remove and clean che carb. Have a good one. geo

Old 03-28-11, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
look in the tank, make sure its relatively clean. a simple wash with gas, shake, and dump out works. its plastic, right?

fuel filter may be clogged too. they are cheap so it doesn't hurt to replace anyways.

if problem persists, check for air leaks, check carb jets, and clean them, and make sure the float moves freely and the needle isnt stuck.

could be the gasket in between the block and carb manifold, too.

give us the first 2 digits of the code stamped on the engine. that is the year, so i can get an idea on how old your engine is.

check your spark plug, before you do anything to the fuel system. replace or clean.

running on choke only indicates running lean. not a good idea to run for too long because it could over heat.

could also be a compression issue. plug it with your finger first, if you can keep a seal while cranking the engine that means most likely the compression is low.

hope this helps a little...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: