Honda 4518 carburetor backfires

Old 03-28-11, 05:01 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Honda 4518 carburetor backfires

My Honda tractor with a water cooled engine has developed a small problem. At first I couldn't get it started, it would run for a second with quick start in the head then shut down. I cleaned the carburetor/jets by first soaking in NAPA carburetor cleaner, spraying clean with aerosol carburetor cleaner, then finally with my air compressor. Now it, starts just fine but I notice a intermittent "pop" when its running. I can look inside the intake and see a small blueish flame inside and it pops. I know its a water cooled small engine so I wondered is it possible somehow water has gotten in the system? Do I need to check the Valves perhaps? I didn't detect any water in the fuel when I drained the tank and refilled with fresh fuel. I know it never made the sounds before, now it will "pop' and the run smoothly then "pop-pop" then run smooth and it continues to do this. Does anyone have any ideas for helping me to troubleshoot whats going on? Possible remedies? I have a working knowledge of small engine repair but dont want to start in on anything too major without guidance. Thanks for reading and I appreciate all replies and information on these engines that may help me solve this problem.

Old 03-28-11, 10:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The spark plug boots have a resistor in them that can effect the running of the engine... Honda is really picky about spark & air.. Try replacing the boots & plugs & the air filter & try it again.. Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: