My Sears with the Hydro-drive questions.

Old 04-07-11, 01:39 PM
Smile My Sears with the Hydro-drive questions.

I'm in need of a little knowledge here

Model #917.270721 Serial # 0123798D0003354
I think this tractor has been under water.
With a bunch of cleaning and replacing of switches and the Start Relay, I have it running. Sand in everything.
The Deck seems to work, things go around anyway

The Hydro-Drive don't want to move.
Its bad Rusty looking up where the controls are. As soon as I get some help I'll see to that stuff.
But what would have both wheels stopped?

In gear when I let up on the brake I hear a Severe sounding, very loud, Scritttttch.
In both fwd n' Reverse. I had it up in the air, so I don't know if it moved the wheels.

I'd like to drain the oil and replace it.
Checking for water at the same time.
I can find a Drain in the drawings and I have a pump that will fill it from the drain hole.
I don't know how much of what kind of Oil to replace it with.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-11, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Synthetic 20w-50 oil will work, and I seem to recall it taking somewhere between 2 and 3 quarts, but don't hold me to it. It's been a while since I had to fill one.

Old 04-09-11, 07:42 AM
Angry

I was on the internet for hours trying to fund an explanation of how that thing works. This one is pretty noisy. I suspect a Bad Bearing.
But without a good Drawing or explanation, the "Guess and By Golly" approach would be to dis-assemble it and inspect each bearing....Or use it till something breaks and pay the price for that method of troubleshooting.

Old 04-09-11, 10:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
These have quite a groan to them when there is air in the system. I don't know what they sound like with water in them. I once had a mower that was underwater for a while and opened the tranny because I was sure it had to be full of water, but there was none. Hydros have vents, so it probably has water in it.

Old 04-09-11, 11:21 AM
I found a section on "Purging the Air" out of the Hydro. It seems that 'shipping' etc can cause the fluid to slosh around and let air get into pockets.
So I'll do the purge, and try it again.
It's a fascinating theory. Goes back to the early 1900's when Engines were applied to the input.

In the only good drawing I've seen, the "Pump" part looks like a Six Cylinder Hi pressure Water pump, like a Karcher etc.

Energy in, (in this case) equals energy out. The "Out" is in Torque though, and not speed.