John Deere mower died and won't start

Old 04-09-11, 12:52 PM
John Deere mower died and won't start

I recently bought a used John Deere Sabre mower. I had it out for a second mowing this friday. I used it for about 45 minutesand then the blade disengaged. I could not get it to re-engage. I turned off the mower, checked a few connections and started it up again. I mowed for another few minutes and then the blade disengaged angain. the mower started running rough like it would do if i stepped on the reverse pedal while the blade was engaged. I could not get the blade to engage again. The mower then died and would not start. It won't even give me an indicator light when I turn the key. I had the battery checked and it is good and will take a load. I have replaced the blade engagement swith as well. I have also checked the seat switch. No luck. I can't get anyone around hereto look at it for at least 2 weeks. I need to use it quickly for business. Any help will be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-11, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the power to the harness has been interrupted. Check the fuse (it's in the small red wire coming from the solenoid).

Old 04-09-11, 06:34 PM
If two things fail like that off and on, I start looking for a corroded ground wire.

Old 04-28-11, 02:03 PM
Had the same problem

Have a craftsman did the same thing. Turned out the pto would shut off when the tiny battery I had got low enough. I'd recharge the battery and I'd be good. I replaced the battery with an automotive battery and haven't had a problem since. I'm not saying the new battery fixed the problem. Maybe because it is such a large battery it can take a discharge for a longer time and I do enough work with it not using the pto it has time to recharge. Don't know.

Old 04-28-11, 04:30 PM
the dead ignition sounds like maybe a safety switch issue

Search this Thread