Surging 10hp Tecumseh in Coleman generator.

Old 04-22-11, 12:31 PM
Surging 10hp Tecumseh in Coleman generator.

I have a 5000 watt Coleman generator from 1999 with a 10hp Tecumseh engine. It starts up easlily, but RPM and power surges at any load. My son has now added to the problem. He made changes to the governor spring position and its adjustment bolt. There are 6 notches where the spring can sit, and the bolt has been moved in and out. Anyone know what would cause the surging and what are the correct governor spring settings and how to make adjustments to the bolt?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-11, 02:50 PM
has the carb been removed? If so it may need a static governor adjustment

Old 04-22-11, 05:32 PM
A shop did work on the carb 2 years ago. It has sat ever since, without testing it. I went to use it for the first time since getting it from the shop and it started right up, but would constantly surge. I checked the filter, which was fine, and then went looking for the old manual. I never found it, and while I was looking for it is when the son decided to play with the governor spring. It still runs, but I can tell the speed is slower, and still surging.
Static governor adjustment? How do I get info on doing this? Never mind, I looked it up. It also said likely cause is partly blocked carb. I will clean, then try Static governor adjustment, and then check for correct AC output.

Last edited by bradwyle; 04-22-11 at 05:43 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-23-11, 07:34 AM
remember that when you get it running smooth you need to adjust the speed so it's putting out 60 cycles, normally that's printed somewhere as a certain rpm like 3600. I used a kill-o-watt meter to adjust mine as it gives the AC cycles output

Old 04-23-11, 03:27 PM
Yes, my RShack volt meter has cycles display. Thanks for your help 38racing. You giving the name to the adjustment needed was what I needed. I looked for hours without luck until you gave me what to look for. link below for anyone interested.
Understanding and Adjusting your Governor on a small engine

Old 04-23-11, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by bradwyle View Post
Yes, my RShack volt meter has cycles display. Thanks for your help 38racing. You giving the name to the adjustment needed was what I needed. I looked for hours without luck until you gave me what to look for. link below for anyone interested.
Understanding and Adjusting your Governor on a small engine
Most inexpensive volt meters won't give cycles.