Peerless 206-545C transmission -- need to remove fill plug and add oil

Old 04-28-11, 02:05 PM
Peerless 206-545C transmission -- need to remove fill plug and add oil

Have a Craftsman LT1000 Mdl 917-272759. It has a 6 speed Peerless 206-545C transmission. It was brought to me with the Gear Shift stuck and would not move. I pulled the body off and sprayed PB Blaster on all moving linkage. After a little persuasion, it was shifting. Now -- I sense that the transmission needs oil. There is a black rubber fill plug on the top of the transmission in the front. 1) Can I just pry it off and fill the transmission ?? 2) I understand you are supposed to use 80/90 weight gear oil. How much should I put in ?? 3) What are the chances of the plug breaking during removal ?? I have never done one of these so I reallly appreciate the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-11, 05:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Never done one, so I don't know. Usually by the time I get them, they require disassembly and internal repair. I grease them while they're open on the workbench. Often, on mowers left outside, rain water trickles down the shifter into the needle bearing at the top of the case, rusting the bearings and shaft, making it hard to shift. This is likely what caused your problem.