Generator Fuel

Old 05-10-11, 08:30 AM
Generator Fuel

My portable emergency generator has about 5 gal of gas in it's 9 gal. tank, and I am uncertain how to best prepare it for the next time of use. Whenever I shut the engine down, I close the valve and run the carburetor out of fuel. I am undecided which is the best method of storage for the generator. Should I add the appropriate mixture of Stabil and top the tank off? Should I just add enough Stabil for the current 5 gal of gas? Should I drain all the fuel from the tank and just add fresh gas the next time I need the generator? If I leave gas in the tank, I would crank the generator and let it run for a few minutes every month or so. The generator is actually needed only every couple of years or so, depending on weather conditions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-11, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
I drain my tank dry then run the gen until it stops. Like you I do not use it too much. Only with power failure.

If I dont use it I run it before winter, and in the spring, then do the draining process over.

I change the oil every other yr if not used. I use synthetic.

Mike NJ

Old 05-10-11, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
With the ethanol in most gas today, it is wise to run it out, including draining the carb bowl, if possible. I would add a fuel stabilizer and then run the system dry. You should add stabilizer to your back up fuel and preferably dump that fuel in your car and fill the back up cans with fresh fuel every six months or so.

Old 05-10-11, 11:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree about draining the carb. I might even recommend filling the carb with mineral spirits to keep the rubber parts soft, then drain it when it comes time to use it again.

Old 05-16-11, 12:03 AM
I did the ultimate, I converted my gennie to use gaseous fuel. It can be changed between propane and natural gas with just adjusting a single fuel flow control. It makes the gennie slightly less portable (need to use at least a 30 pound propane tank) but it eliminates all the parts in the liquid fuel train. Total cost was about $200.

Old 05-28-11, 11:36 PM
That works good for a endless supply on natural gas. But the down side is it won't put out at much wattage as gas did.

Old 06-05-11, 11:21 AM
If you make a dedicated gaseous fuel changeover rather than a dual-fuel changeover there will be no loss of output power.