Metal to metal noise when I engage the mower on my rider

Old 05-15-11, 06:56 PM
Metal to metal noise when I engage the mower on my rider

I have a Craftsmen 17hp 42inch cut riding lawnmower. I can't figure out what this very loud like metal to metal screeching sound is when I engage the mower. I checked the blades to see if they were hitting anything and they both seemed fine. It did seem to start after I ran over a tree root while mowing the other day. Any ideas as to what this could be? Could it be a spindle or ? If it was a spindle I would assume the blades would be hitting the ground. It seems to be mowing ok. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks as always! Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-11, 11:46 PM
I suspect that you bent something on the mower deck when you hit that root. I bought a used rider from K-Mart many years ago that was still under warranty and it would chew up and then throw the drive belts. I couldn't see anything that would cause this so I took it to the warranty repair station. Turned out the mower deck was slightly bent, probably from the previous owner hitting something. They wouldn't honor the warranty stating it was an operator-caused fault and I think it cost me about a hundred bucks or so.

These things should be built tougher in my opinion.

Old 05-17-11, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Metal to metal screeching is a good sign that something is about to really go wrong. Usually that means more money, so find it before it goes. Check all pulleys, the belt, look for scraped areas, etc... The problem should be fairly obvious when you see it.

Old 05-18-11, 06:26 AM
Thanks Furd, Cheese! I"ll either have to check it out more myself and see if I can find out what's wrong or take it to a shop. Thanks again! Jack