Old Sears rear engine rider

Old 05-15-11, 04:32 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Sears rear engine rider

I just got a Sears rear engine rider off Craigslist and I trying to figure out which engine it has. I read someplace it is a re-branded Murray with a Tecumseh engine but I can't figure out the murrary model or the Tecumseh model. The Sears model for the mower is 502255610.

Here is a link to the parts page on Sears. LINK
Here's a picture.

This guy took really good care of this thing it looks great and runs pretty good too. I think it just needs some maintenance. I mowed my back yard with it with no trouble. It was 125 bucks and fit in the back of a Focus ZX5

I need to take off the gas cap to get it started so I am guessing the vent on that is plugged.

Old 05-15-11, 06:17 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The engine looks like a Briggs, the model, type and code should be stamped in the engine shroud just above the spark plug. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-15-11, 07:07 PM
M
There was a number stamped in right by the plug thanks!

I didn't see it before I was looking for a plate.

The number is 143-346202

Parts and Diagrams for Tecumseh 143-346202 Craftsman

It would be great to find an operation manual I haven't been able to find one for the mower or the engine yet.

Old 05-15-11, 11:36 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I've no help to add but other than the color that looks just like the used rider my daddy bought me way back in 1978 or so. Mine was green but also a five horsepower, 25 inch cut. It was too noisy for me so I found a new muffler from a yard tractor at the Sears bargain store and cobbled it up; that made it a lot quieter.

I used it for maybe three to five years before the engine crapped out. I don't know just when it had been made but it was old when I got it. You are correct that it was originally made by Murray.

Here's the best part, I still have it! After the engine crapped out I decided I wanted to make an electric (battery-driven) rider. Over the last thirty years I have installed a new steering gear, new transaxle, a blade motor, a drive motor, bigger wheels/tires and such. I usually go for several years before getting an "attack of the buildies" so progress is pretty slow and the used batteries I got several years ago went completely bad between the time I got them and the time I was going to test it. I have a much smaller yard now and absolutely no use for a rider but I still want to complete this project before I die. My next step is to attach the steering wheel and see if the thing can navigate my somewhat steep driveway with the battery charger and a long extension cord.

I just dug through my desk drawer and found the original nameplate. Mine is model 131.96900 and the serial number is 1065000866. I'm thinking that means it was made either in January of 1965 or August of 1966.

Old 05-16-11, 08:46 AM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
The manual below should cover your engine. Have a good one. Geo
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 05-16-11, 05:11 PM
M
Thanks for the link it is coming up not found though.

Is this the manual you were linking to? http://toprake.com/index.php?module=...&JAS_File_id=2

Old 05-16-11, 06:03 PM
M
This book has a sears to Tecumseh conversion chart and it shows my engine is Tecumseh model TVM125 which can be downloaded on this page. CPD Online | Dealer Resources

Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: