Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Poulan 17545LT Shifting problem

WV

05-17-11, 06:28 AM   #1  
Poulan 17545LT Shifting problem

I have a 1997 Poulan 17545LT riding lawn mower. I just replaced the drive belt and deck belt, both are 1/2 X 95 inch belts. The problem is with the engine running it is hard to shift gears. I dropped the deck to make sure the belt was correctly installed and it was. I adjusted the parking brake according to the manual at 1 1/2 inch from one of the spring to the other and set with the jam nut, better but not much. with engine off it will shift gears like butter as it did before the belt change, Runs well and cuts good, but there must be something I ovever looked, Any Idea, suggestions? Is the another adjustment that I need?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-17-11, 08:00 PM   #2  
The belt should stop turning because it gets loose enough and the belt guides contact it to help it stay put. Make sure all belt guides are in place and make sure the pulleys are clean and not rusty or bent. Also, are you using utility belts made for this purpose? Sounds like you're using generic belts and it might just be that the belt is wrong for it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WV

05-18-11, 02:17 AM   #3  
Problem solved. I pulled the cover off the rear of the tractor to expose the transmisson and found that it was packed with dry grass, dirt, leaves and small sticks. Blew what I could out with my air gun and hosed off the rest. When I replaced the belt It must have shifted some of the debris in the way of the shift linkage. After I cleaned it all up, I took it out for a test ride and it shifted fine. After I parked it in the shed I manufactured a deflector plate to gaurd the shift linkage where it enters the transmission from that type of build up again. Replaced the rear cover plate and all is fine. And yes I did use quality kevlar 1/2 x 95 inch replacement belts. So from now on when I am hosing down the deck, I will take the extra 15 minutes and pull the rear cover and hose off the transmission as well. I have about 8 acres to cut and can't afford for the Poluan to be down. What I really need is and old Ford 8N with a brush hog and finish mower, but all in due time.

Search this Thread