Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

my riding mower will not crank

PA

05-22-11, 03:49 PM   #1  
my riding mower will not crank

I have a craftsman riding mower,model#917.255430,serial#,081693s-075381.the problem I am having is that my
Riding mower will not crank.the starter seems to spin backwards while cranking.the star wheel on the starter will not come up and contact the flywheel.I tried installing 3 brand new starters and it still does the same thing.I checked for power at the starter while cranking and there was 12 volts,and the starter case gets grounded from the engine block,so why does the starter spin backwards?can someone please help me figure this out its driving me crazy? And no the battery cables are not backwards!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-22-11, 07:12 PM   #2  
If you are using new starters and the battery is connected properly, the starter cannot turn backwards. I think maybe you are mistaken about which way the starter needs to turn? The only thing that I an think of that would keep a starter gear from not kicking up on a new starter would be low voltage/amperage not kicking the starter hard or fast enough to send the gear up the helix.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Non-US

05-22-11, 07:22 PM   #3  
Cheese is right,, The starter (brush Type) will only turn one way but if the current to the starter is weak, it won't spin up the drive pinion.. Load test the battery & check the voltage drop over the starter circuit in case there is resistance in the connections & cables... Roger

PA

05-23-11, 09:57 AM   #4  
response

Thanks for responding so quickly.I appreciate your thoughts,but I am not mistaken,the starter really does spin backwards.the only way I can get the star wheel to come up like its suppose to is by grounding the power post on the starter and powering the case of the starter,then the starter spins the proper way and the star wheel comes up to the top.I'm not trying to doubt anyone,I am just trying to get to the bottom of this.THE STARTER REALLY DOES SPIN BACKWARDS,I'M NOT JOKING.I know its hard to believe but its true.I called 3 lawn mower repair shops and got the same response from all of them.if I could take video of the starter cranking on the mower and post it on this page for all of you to see,I would in a second,but I'm not sure how??? I hope there is someone out there that can resolve this problem,because I am stumped!!!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-23-11, 09:04 PM   #5  
Get a set of jumper cables and put the positive to the post of the starter and the negative to the case of the starter. If it turns backwards, the starter is bad. The only way the starter can do this is if the internal magnets are upside down. This sin't likely on a brand new starter (unless maybe you are buying aftermarket starters made in china... then anything goes). Looking from the top of the starter, does the starter turn clockwise or counterclockwise?

God bless!

PA

05-24-11, 10:05 AM   #6  
This message is for 'cheese'.if I power the post on the starter and ground the case,the starter spins backwards.this happened on all 3 brand new starters.what are the odds that all 3 starters are defective?I have seen it before,but I only got 1 bad starter,maybe 2,but never 3!!!this is why I am stumped,because I thought the starter was bad too,but after replacing it three times with no change in direction,I figured it had to be something else.if I were to change the starter again,any suggestions on where would be a good place to purchase one?

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

05-24-11, 11:36 AM   #7  
Posted By: cheese Looking from the top of the starter, does the starter turn clockwise or counterclockwise?
. ?

Just needs a bigger hammer
Peace

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-24-11, 07:27 PM   #8  
Need to know the answer to the last question.

God bless!

PA

05-26-11, 09:00 AM   #9  
If you look from the top of the starter,it spins clockwise.it needs to spin counterclockwise for the star wheel to come up and contact the flywheel.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-11, 09:19 AM   #10  
That's a strange problem you have there. I have never seen this happen with an unaltered starter connected properly in my over 20 years of working on small engines, and here you have 3 in a row? I'd almost be inclined to double check with a different battery in case the one you're using is marked wrong. I mean, the chance of that is about nil, but so is the chance of getting starters that turn wrong. Are you buying aftermarket starters?

God bless!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-26-11, 08:49 PM   #11  
Where are you getting the starters and how much are they? I thought about this off and on today, and all I can figure is you are getting chinese imports or rebuilt starters from somewhere.

God bless!

CANADA

05-26-11, 09:00 PM   #12  
somebody hasn't reversed the colour code of the battery wires by any chance or would that make any difference to the starter.

PA

05-27-11, 09:53 AM   #13  
I" myself"have been working in automotive for 15 years,and never had this much
Trouble fixing something so simple.all the starters I purchased from Sears
Repair center on race street in catasaqua,and paid $110 00 ea.I wish I knew someone with a similar Mower,so I could swap starters and see if that resolves my problem.what if I ordered a new starter online?any suggestions?DOES ANYONE HAVE A KNOWN GOOD STARTER THAT WOULD FIT MY MOWER,THAT I COULD TRY?before I buy starter #4.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-11, 10:24 AM   #14  
That compounds matters. Sears would be selling geuine Briggs starters. Take one to a local small engine shop or just go by and ask for a used starter. Show them your current starter.. they'd love to see this as would I. You can pick up used ones for $40-$60. What made you replace the starter in the first place?

God bless!

PA

05-28-11, 06:14 AM   #15  
I replaced the starter because all the tests that I performed on the mower and the wiring,all checked out ok.and when I tested the starter,on or off the mower,it would spin backwards.I have never seen a starter spin the wrong way,unless the starter itself was faulty.so I checked and rechecked the wiring over and over again just to make sure that I wasn't overlooking something.when all proved ok,I decided to replace the starter.when that failed to resolve my problem,I decided to try another starter.and so on and so on.I still believe that it is a faulty starter,but its getting frustrating trying to find a good one.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-28-11, 09:28 AM   #16  
How would the original starter have turned backwards. Did the mower ever work? A starter doesn't turn one way, then suddenly turn the other way. If the starter was working and the mower was being used, the starter was turning the right way. Still wondering why you replaced it (info prior to your discovery that it turns the wrong way...there had to be something to start the search for problems). Did you buy the mower used, did you ever see it run, did it quit working one day, did you replace the battery or something right before this happened? Take a video of this, showing from the battery terminals to the starter and showing it turn when you apply voltage in the correct polarity.

God bless!

PA

05-29-11, 07:59 AM   #17  
I bought the mower off a friend who said that it was running good,but then the next time he tried to start it,it would not crank.he had the starter tested and it tested good.he then called me and asked if I wanted it because he was tired of dealing with it,and he was just going to buy a new mower.so he sold it to me for $50.i figured it was a good deal if I could get it running.I DO WANT TO THANK EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP AND IDEAS.I GOT THE MOWER RUNNING YESTERDAY ,FINALLY ,AND WANTED TO THANK EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED.I went to a small engine repair shop and had the starter tested.IT TESTED BAD,so I bought a used starter that tested good and put it on and the mower started right up.I'm not sure who tested the original starter from the previous owner,but it was no good.so the mower is up and running and purs like a kitten.THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED ESPECIALLY,"CHEESE". YOU WERE A BIG HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now I can cut my grass in style.

TX

05-29-11, 09:13 AM   #18  
I'm still confused about the spinning backwards syndrome.... Did the used starter you purchase spin the other way? As was stated the only way a DC motor will spin backwards or opposite from the intended direction is if the permanent magnet field is oriented wrong. I would think these would be engineered to allow "one way only" assembly but you never know, especially with import parts...

TexasFire

Glad you are up & running!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-29-11, 09:26 AM   #19  
Wow, glad you got it fixed! That is really crazy that you had that kind of problem. I'll have to file this one in the back of my mind in case I ever run into a backwards starter, lol.

What did the mower shop guy have to say about the starter turning wrong?

God bless!

PA

05-29-11, 06:25 PM   #20  
He said that he never had one do that before,and was happy to sell me a used one.

Search this Thread