Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawnmower

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

01-01-01, 11:44 AM   #1  
i have a lawnmower that wont crank .i replaced the spark plug but nothing.its a 17.5 hp tecumseh. i have gas in the tank an everything.the brand name of the mower is turfpro. i sort of think it has something to do with the auto shutoff with the seat but im not sure. help please.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

01-01-01, 05:44 PM   #2  
Safety Switch

Hi:ronfox2

I gather from you posting two possible conditions but currently not able to positively determine what you mean.
One of these two possibilities: I think you mean the engine doesn't crank? Or it cranks but doesn't start?

You did mention it won't crank but then said you changed the spark plug? I am trying to determine why would the spark plug be part of the problem here? Confusing.

If the mower has a start/run safety cutout switch on the seat, you'll have to check that switch for continuity. Another method is to jump the switch with a jumper wire.

If the engine starts using the jumper wire, the switch is defective. If not, you'll be looking for a similar condition elsewhere. An open circuit at another switch or possibly a loose or corroded connection.

Could also be the ignition switch, starter motor or clutch safety switch, if equipped with one. Be sure to check the battery, starter solenoid and any other safety switch. <Shut for grass discharge safety switch?>

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread