5 hp briggs flooding

Old 05-31-11, 10:56 PM
5 hp briggs flooding

Ive posted about this before but I left it alone for a while over the winter. I decided I wanted to mess with it again. The problem is after the motor is turned off the carb continues to suck gas from the tank into the carb and it floods and floods so badly that it goes through the breather into the crank case. It is an older briggs 79 i think. So it has the old style pull choke carbs. What would cause this? Im thinking about buying a new diaphram and tank gasket.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-11, 11:19 AM
Anything guys? I really want this to work

Old 06-02-11, 04:02 PM
There is a problem with the float in the carb, as in the float is caught, broken, of there is a bad seal with the stopper. If you feel comfortable, open up the carb and see if anything looks "out of place", and see if the float has a leak in it (hole).

Old 06-02-11, 09:13 PM
Thanks man but there is no float this is a pulsa jet( i think thats the name lol) it sucks gas from the gas tank through a tube.

Old 06-03-11, 07:09 PM
upon further inspection the diaphram looks to be in good shape. I am really lost as to what this could be. I really need some help

Old 06-04-11, 06:16 AM
can you see the gas coming out of a certain place? does the gas go directly to the jet? is there a valve before the gas reaches the jet?

Old 06-04-11, 08:09 AM
Post the engine model, type and code stamped in the engine shroud just above the spark plug so we know what you have. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-04-11, 02:15 PM
Model:130202 Type:0198 04 Code:81020507

I cant see where exactly the gas is coming from but it has to be from the main jet. I look down where the air cleaner mounts over the carb and watch the whole body or the carb fill up with gas. It does that for a little bit then it quits.

Old 06-05-11, 10:00 AM
Here is a little more background. I bought this engine as something to tinker on. When I got the engine it would not start(no spark) so I pulled the fly wheel off and sanded the points and replaced the fly wheel key. Then since it was older I decided to lap the valves. I took the carb off and cleaned it but did not replace any gaskets or diaphrams. Put it all back together and it ran but ran rough. Sometimes it wouldnt start up and after pulling it several times i noticed the gas flooding into the carburetor. If it did start it would run rough until dying(at idle it would be fine then it would just rev low and so I would give it gas and hold it there and it would be fine for a while until it started to slowly rev lower again until I played with the throttle). After dying it would start to flood gas just keeps on coming up through the pick up tube and pouring into the carb body. Hope that might help

Today I ordered a new diaphram and tank gasket!

Old 06-05-11, 02:23 PM
If it forces gas into the carb after it shuts off, it would indicate the fuel cap is not venting, try running it with the cap loose and see what happens. Have a good one. Geo

Old 06-05-11, 02:56 PM
Ok thanks I will try that. I should get my parts in wed so I will know something soon.

Old 06-12-11, 07:01 AM
Well installed new diaphram and tank gasket and I still have the same problem. It didnt pull up inside the carb near as bad it just looked like it was seeping out from between the tank and carb now. It should not be doing that I cleaned both surfaces and installed a brand new gasket. If i listen closely I hear it hissing haha.

Old 06-12-11, 01:33 PM
Just went out and ran it again and it really looks like gas is coming up through the three bolt holes that mount the carb to the tank. All bolts are torqued down. The engine will run great and then it just seems to loose everything and drops in rpms after it does that the gas comes up and floods the outside of the tank through those bolt holes after that it has a hard time getting back to an idle it runs real rough. Im going to try and attach a video

Old 06-13-11, 08:00 AM
I had tried loosing the gas cap and that had no effect so I finally just took it all the way off and that was the problem!!! Thanks guys I should have just pulled it all the way off a while ago haha.