Weird Spark

Old 06-02-11, 04:15 PM
Weird Spark

I have an old engine that im trying to fix up. Im usually good with things like this but im seeking a second opinion for proper troubleshooting. The engine has no spark. if i take the wire out of the boot of the spark plug and i hold it very close to the engine block i get a spark, though about 1/16 of the spark plug gap. the spark is a bright blue, so thats promising. should i disconnect all the wires leading off of the magneto and try to spark plug boot wire again? similarly, how do i set up a kill switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-11, 06:01 PM
If this is the same Briggs you've been working on, the spark may be sufficient if you just clean the points on it. Then put a spark plug in the boot, ground the spark plug and see what you get. That cover for the points may have a kill button on it. If not, just run a wire from the points where the wires juncture. Take that to a kill switch and ground the kill.

Old 06-02-11, 06:13 PM
I did forget to mention that the engine has been sitting all winter (couldn't work on it) and might have built up some rust (though i couldn't really notice any). I feel stupid asking this, but could you describe what you just said in Laymens Terms? I think very visually and english is by far my worst subject.

Old 06-03-11, 01:55 PM
Good news everyone! turns out the wiring that i had done before the winter had slipped up a little and thats what was causing the bad spark. now the spark is extremely strong (it was about the width of the cylinder at the bottom of the spark plug and bright blue). When i spayed a second of starter fluid down the throat of the card the engine did kick over a few times. I was expecting this, since there was no gas in the carb, nor does the engine even have a gas tank. Now the question is whether or not the carb is in good shape since i did soak it in carb soaker but the idle jet is gone, since the tube leading up to it snapped right under the throttle plate. the rest of the carb should be fine though.

Old 06-04-11, 01:15 PM
the engine did start with gas, though i tried to start it a few minutes ago and the spark was gone again. bad wiring. is there a way to completely eliminate the wiring except the wire that goes to the spark plug?