Craftsman Front Tine Tiller Transmission Replacement...

Old 06-06-11, 09:20 AM
Craftsman Front Tine Tiller Transmission Replacement...

I have a craftsman front tine tiller that has a tranmission box that it cracked open in a few spots near the tines and the chain is actually exposed. The cracks in the transmission makes the front of the tiller loose resulting in the tines hitting the dirt guard. I just found out that a replacement transmission can be bought but I don't know anything about replacing these. Does anyone have experience, a write-up or some sort of DIY Guide on how to replace a Craftsman front tine tiller transmission?. I can provide the actual model# when I get home but wanted to atleast get the ball rolling on this...

Thanks,

jnt412...

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-11, 12:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I wouldn't count on any type of specific service manual being readily available. An Illustrated parts list and user manual is about the best you could hope for.
Depending on your mechanical ability, the IPL should be enough to complete the exchange...of course it depends on the tiller, age and price of available replacement parts as to whether it would make fiscal sense or not.

Old 06-06-11, 04:09 PM
I will take a good look at the trans and how its connected this week. I have the tranmission diagram as well. The tiller model# is 917292490. Looks like the axle comes with the transmission as well and Amazon sells it for cheaper....

The motor is still good and runs strong so I will most likely replace the trans.. Any tips?

Old 06-06-11, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a pretty easy cut-and-dry operation, just time consuming. A lot of parts have to come off and you have to remember how they go back on. The tines may be hard to remove, but other than that, it shouldn't be too bad. You might take the pins out of the tines and run the tiller to see if you can get them to break loose before disassembling it if they are stuck.

Old 06-07-11, 03:18 AM
Cool.. Thanks..

I took a good look at it yesterday evening. Since the axle's on the transmission stay on, it looks like the hardest part to me will be removing the two pulleys (side by side) for forward and reverse. The two pulleys are installed on the smaller axle on the transmission behind the engine. On one side of this axle there is a screw and one the other side (pulley side) there is a small key to keep the pulley's in place.
I have removed the screw, the key and the tines but I don't know the procedure on how to remove the two pulley's on the smaller axle.

Old 06-18-11, 05:45 PM
Transmission Installed..

I installed a new transmission two days ago. The two pulleys where tapped off with a hammer and then everything was broken down moving forward. The bolts, nuts, engine and even the handle bar had to be removed. Had to use my remaining tube of thread locker when putting everything back together. She's good to go now...