Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil pan seal?

NH

06-06-11, 06:46 PM   #1  
Oil pan seal?

I have an old engine that has a removable oil pan. The seal that was there is gone, i am considering using duct tape to make a seal considering that the two metal plates are flat and have no chips. would this work? any household products that i could use? I would like to use household products instead of buying a $20 gasket online (if i could find one, the engine is from '73).

Sponsored Links

CO

06-06-11, 07:03 PM   #2  
Most auto parts stores have sheet gasket so you could make one

AJ

NH

06-07-11, 03:58 AM   #3  
Would duct tape work though?

Non-US

06-07-11, 07:30 AM   #4  
Probably not for long. Post the #'s from the engine & we can look the proper gasket up for you.. If it's a Briggs, the sump gaskets are 3~4 bucks & saves taking it apart again... Also some engines use the thickness of this gasket to adjust the end play of the crankshaft, so it's important to use the proper one.... Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-07-11, 11:03 PM   #5  
Posted By: hopkinsr2 Probably not for long. Post the #'s from the engine & we can look the proper gasket up for you.. If it's a Briggs, the sump gaskets are 3~4 bucks & saves taking it apart again... Also some engines use the thickness of this gasket to adjust the end play of the crankshaft, so it's important to use the proper one.... Roger
Correct. Do it right or you'll do it over.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

06-09-11, 11:01 AM   #6  
I can't see any way that duct tape would work. There would be seams at the corners that will leak, and the very texture of the duct tape might also be a problem. Plus the adhesive may do bad things when it gets hot. I highly recommend getting the right gasket for the job, but if you really insist on doing this "on the cheap" and are willing to risk leakage and/or complete failure of the home made gasket, I'd use the cardboard from a NON-corogated box, like a pizza box and carefully cut your own gasket. You would be better served with a sheet of gasket material of the proper thickness from the local auto parts store for less than $5.

NH

06-11-11, 01:17 PM   #7  
Well, I looked up the gasket today I was to pleased to find that the gasket was $6 with shipping, so I got that. All will be well.

Search this Thread