No Spark ... How to disconnect the kill wire to check?

Old 06-18-11, 11:52 AM
Question No Spark ... How to disconnect the kill wire to check?

I have a yard machines with a tecumseh engine 3.75 hp/22in. MTD model number 11A-081B009 ... It will like you to several PDF files ... the owners manual is one of them.

The engine will not start at all ... I pulled the plug and saw no spark... tried to make sure it was touching metal, but maybe it's not making contact? ... place it on or near anything that was metal but could not get it to spark ... I found out it takes a J-19LM ... I had a brand new one never used ... still no spark:NO NO NO: ... I've been reading relating issue on the forum and I see the suggestion of disconnecting the kill wire, but nothing on how to preform the task ... can anyone clarify?

I can't post attachments so I can't show the model I am working on. All I can do it put up the address to a site where you can type in the model number ... 11A-081B009 and the serial number ... 10049B21898 I believe the model number will be enough.

Click here for the page

According to my friend that owns the mower said it ran for a while then stopped ... after that it was hard to start and keep running... she said she had it serviced, just before the season, but it only ran that one time. She said that the person that worked on it was suppose to have clean the carb and change the oil, but the oil was black, and didn't look like it had been changed ... I haven't gotten to far with trouble shooting so I don't know the real condition of the carb.

So would disconnecting the kill cable the first step to trouble shooting this problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-11, 11:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The kill wire is plugged onto the coil. Take the cover off the engine and unplug it, that's about all there is to it. If still no spark, the coil is bad.

Old 06-19-11, 07:13 AM
Arrow Is the kill wire the part that you hold the bar to start the engine?

So is the kill wire part of that bar that you hold to start the engine? It is on the outside of the machine, but it seems like when you hold the bar down the cable is not moving very much and the part it is hook up to it on the engine is a solid non moving piece. It doesn't seem to do anything ... or is this kill wire hidden? I really don't know what a coil looks like

Old 06-19-11, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like you just need to replace the cable that you're looking at, or unhook the end at the handlebar and tie a knot in it and reconnect it so that it will pull a bit further.

The coil is where the spark plug wire comes from under the engine cover. That's where the kill wire is. You can't see it without taking the engine cover off.

Old 06-19-11, 10:23 AM
Arrow Yeah on the cable

I think you are right about the cable ... it is not moving at all ... I will try what you said ... question ... if the blade control handle cable isn't moving would that make the spark plug not give a spark?

Old 06-19-11, 10:41 AM
Arrow You're right .

I put a knock in the cable and it tried to start ... the cable act like in was stuck ... not moving ... I tried to get it to move better, but it broke inside the cable ... can you run the machine with out this cable so I can see that the engine runs ok? Where can I get a replacement part?

Old 06-20-11, 10:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can run the engine without the kill wire attached, but you won't be able to shut it off unless you pop the spark plug wire off, so be aware. If the cable was stuck, that would keep it from starting.

Old 06-21-11, 07:46 AM
Angry Dang!

I pulled the control cable and the dang thang still won't start ... still no spark as far as I can tell ... I guess I'll have to try the coil thang ... dang ... I thought I had it ...

Old 06-21-11, 08:57 AM
Angry Still no spark

I removed the cover and pull the kill wire ... still no spark:NO NO NO: ... I've no way of holding the spark plug next to the metal so I took a wire with two alligator clip on each end ... connect to the plug and a piece of metal ...still no spark. Will the alligator clip prevent me from seeing a spark? I thought is was rare for a coil to go bad ...

Old 06-21-11, 09:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The alligator clip won't keep it from sparking. It's not rare for a coil to go bad. Make sure your plug is good and you can see it really well because the spark can be hard to see.

Old 06-21-11, 08:20 PM
Thumbs up Checked it at night ... I see spark!

I waited until dark and checked the plug ... I do see a spark pitch black in the garage made it easy to see ... with the kill wire disconnected ... now what?

Old 06-21-11, 10:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
See if it will run with a prime, or replace the cable.

Old 06-22-11, 09:13 AM
Question Please Clarify

Could you clarify a bit on priming ... do you mean hit the prime pump real good or put gas in a certain area? So far no luck starting it:NO NO NO: after putting it back together with the kill wire hooked back up.

Old 06-22-11, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Get a can of spray starter fluid from any auto parts store. Remove the air cleaner and spray a little down the carburetor throat. Then try to start. If the motor fires and runs briefly, you probably have a gummed up carb and need to clean it or have a shop clean it.

Old 06-25-11, 01:41 PM
Arrow Dang!

Tried the starting fluid ... :NO NO NO: no go ... I just don't understand it ... it has a spark ... I removed the air filter to start it with the fluid so it shouldn't be that I just don't get it ... I thought once the cable was removed it would start. New plug ... got gas ... got oil ... what does it need that it don't got?

Old 06-27-11, 06:29 PM
Question I don't get it

If it's giving a spark and still won't start what else could be the problem?

Old 06-27-11, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it have compression?

Old 06-30-11, 08:37 AM
Arrow Gee ... I don't know .... how do I check it?

I have no idea one way or the other ... is there a way I can check it without any special tool?

Old 06-30-11, 09:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Take the plug out and put you thumb over the hole, have someone crank the engine. Do you feel air blowing your thumb off the hole?

Old 07-01-11, 07:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
I just don't get it ... I thought once the cable was removed it would start.
If the kill wire is connected, then the cable also needs to be connected and functioning....?

Old 07-03-11, 07:32 PM
Question I thought you didn't need the cable

Originally Posted by BFHFixit View Post
If the kill wire is connected, then the cable also needs to be connected and functioning....?
I was under the impression you didn't need the cable connected and functioning in order to start the mower ... only that you had to pull the spark plug to stop it. I'm I missing something. I do have the kill wire connected.

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Take the plug out and put you thumb over the hole, have someone crank the engine. Do you feel air blowing your thumb off the hole?
I didn't have any one to help me, but I took a piece of a plastic bag and put it in the hole, when I cranked the engine the plastic shot out, so there is compression ...

Old 07-04-11, 07:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by spirittoo View Post
I was under the impression you didn't need the cable connected and functioning in order to start the mower ... only that you had to pull the spark plug to stop it. I'm I missing something. I do have the kill wire connected.
The cable connects to a mechanism that when pulled, opens the ground circuit to the coil, same as disconnecting the kill wire from the coil. Your engine may also have an engine brake that the cable releases.

Old 07-04-11, 11:40 AM
So if I disconnect the kill wire and the cable should the mower start ... or does both those things have to be connected?