Carb gets too much fuel B&S 18hp L-head Vert shaft

Old 06-20-11, 08:06 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Carb gets too much fuel B&S 18hp L-head Vert shaft

Engine surges and finally shuts down. When i first hhad this problem i found trash in the fuel tank from a disintegrated gas tank cap. I cleaned the tank, fuel lines and replaced the filter. The engine seemed to run smoothe and of course this helped. I got to cut the grass one time before it stopped. After removing the air cleaner and assoc. bracket I noticed that he faom air filter was saturated with gasoline. When I tried to start the engine without the filter gasoline poured into the carb. Onlu by getting the gas out of the carb with an absorbant paper towel did I get the engine to fire. It ran a little with gasoline pouring into the carb in spurts. I'm getting too much fuel! How to regulate?

Old 06-20-11, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds like a piece of that gas cap got stuck in the inlet needle valve of the carburetor. Take the top of the carb off and remove the float needle and clean out the fuel fitting and the needle seat.

Old 06-22-11, 04:19 PM
P
Originally Posted by cheese
Sounds like a piece of that gas cap got stuck in the inlet needle valve of the carburetor. Take the top of the carb off and remove the float needle and clean out the fuel fitting and the needle seat.
I removed top of carb and cleaned inlet needle valve (blew it out) reassembled same problem.

Old 06-22-11, 09:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
omething is keeping the needle valve from closing and seating.

Old 06-23-11, 08:25 PM
Check the float..If it makes a sloshing noise when you shake it next to your ear,, It will need a float... Roger

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: