Buying advice on new lawn tractor

Old 06-20-11, 03:40 PM
Buying advice on new lawn tractor

Thanking I may need to go ahead and replace my 20 year old Craftsman lawn tractor. It has been a good one. Looking at two at sears. A craftsman 21 HP 42" cut ,zero turn riding mower with Briggs & Stration Platinum Series engine ($2499) and the Husqvarna 24 HP 54" cut, zero turn Mover with Kohler Courage V-Twin engine ($2999) .What do you thank about these mowers.
Thank you for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-11, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Either should be a decent machine for the money. The 42" is usually a little less trouble prone because the smaller deck is less prone to warpage, less leverage sticking out to mess up the mower deck hanging system when it hits a tree or root, and less stress on the engine and belts with the smaller cut size. If your doing easy mowing, the 54" should be fine. If you're cutting tough terrain with tough grass and lots of roots, etc..., you'd probably be better off with the smaller of the two. I prefer the kohler though.

Old 06-23-11, 02:13 PM
Hey Cheese thanks. I've just been out looking at ZTR Mowers(get the job done faster so I can play more golf) and I saw an Ariens ##915159 22HP Kohler with 48" cut for $2399 and A Toro SS4235 20HP Kawasaki 48" cut for $2599. Any thoughts on these two mowers. I know the Kholer is good but don" know anything about the Kawasaki or Toro Mowers. I only mower about.7 acre so I think these are big enough. Just want to find a good mower and brand that is reliable and maybe avoid ones that are not. Maybe someone has had experience with zero turn Mowers.

Thanks a lot

Old 06-23-11, 05:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't dealt much with either of those mowers, but I will say that kawasaki has made some of the most dependable, longest lasting engines on the market.

Old 06-24-11, 01:16 PM
I just look at a John Deere Z225 18.5 horse with 48" cut at Lowes. The build quality looked real good (but what do I know) I noticed it had a Briggs and Stration engine. The salesman told me that the Briggs on the John Deere is not the same as the Briggs on other mowers. He said it was a much better engine, built to John Deere's specs. Is this true or was it just a salesman pulling my leg to sell a mower?
Thanks

Old 06-24-11, 06:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
He's giving you a line of BS. The engines are no better. Yes, deere may have certain requirements like the engine needs a green or black top instead of red, or it needs a fuel pump or pressure lube, but the engines use the same low quality parts that come in all the briggs engines with the same features. You can view an engine breakdown and see the part numbers are the same. I don't have much confidence in today's briggs engines. They are built so cheap and don't last long anymore. Seems like they would look at what happened to tecumseh and get a clue. Just my opinion.

Old 06-25-11, 08:18 PM
As I suspected. Thanks alot Cheese