Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help!! No spark???

CT

06-24-11, 01:21 PM   #1  
Need help!! No spark???

Okay, I got one for ya... Running a Toro lawn mower, Briggs and stratton engine model number 286H77... turned it off, tried to start it back up ( 5 minutes later) and it won't start... backfires.. I take it apart and find the boot on the spark plug was cracked and bleeding the spark out. Replaced the boot, an now it won't spark at all! FN thing, replace the electronic aramature but I STILL can't get a spark. It seems pretty easy, engine turns, magnets run by arms, generate electric jolt and hits the plug.... right??? Anyone? Everything looks okay to me...
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-24-11, 07:03 PM   #2  
It's not quite that simple, but anyway, unplug the kill wire from the coil and see if it sparks. If so, there is something external killing the spark. If still no spark, then the coil is upside down, not gapped properly, or bad. If you used an aftermarket coil, it might be bad right out of the box, or if not, it might be bad next week. Never had luck using one that I recall.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

06-25-11, 05:06 AM   #3  
Well... I feel a little better. I did all that and the spark still eludes me.
I'll have to take it off and re install. Is there any "tricks" to the install? I have the gap card that comes with the part. AND it is a Briggs and Stratton part...

NH

06-27-11, 06:01 PM   #4  
Try taking out the wire from the boot and touch it directly to the engine block, see how that goes. It that works try to wrap the wires coming out of the spark plug wire directly to the top of the spark plug, see if the engine runs.
Enjoy!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-27-11, 10:26 PM   #5  
No, don't cut your new coil wire up to wrap the wires on anything. There are no tricks, just make sure the coil is right side up (the kill wire terminal should be under the coil, not on top) and make sure the armature legs are .010" from the magnet on the flywheel. If it does not spark a good plug like this, with the kill wire unplugged, the coil is bad or the engine isn't turning fast enough.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread