Lawn Tractor Starting Problem after replacing throttle plate

Old 06-26-11, 07:02 PM
Lawn Tractor Starting Problem after replacing throttle plate

I have a Craftsman 917.273643 Lawn Tractor with an 18.5 OHV Intek plus B&S engine single cylinder engine. The throttle plate came loose and was sucked into the intake but the screws went completely through the engine and also broke off the top of the rocker arm bolts yet it was still running but would not slow down. I shut it down and tore into it removing the head and carb. I replaced the throttle plate and the shaft it attached to in the carb as well as adjusted the valves properly with new bolts and gaskets everywhere. When I try to start it now it will not fire. I am getting spark and fuel into the fuel bowl and I have taken it off as well and cleaned it and checked to see if the jet was plugged but it all appears ok. I have fuel in the bowl and I have pressure there but I am not getting it into the engine as when I pull the plug it is bone dry. I can make it fire with a little gas in the intake but will not run otherwise. I was wondering if the solenoid on the bottom of the fuel bowl could be my issue. There are two wires one which is ground and I was wondering if it makes a difference which way it is hooked up to the solenoid although I have tried it both ways and I would not think this went bad since it was still running when I tore into it and I would think maybe it is something I neglected to tighten properly etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-11, 07:30 PM
check if with key on you have 12v between one of those solenoid leads and ground. Solenoid should click when voltage applied. You can remove to view the plunger moving.

Old 06-26-11, 07:49 PM
I just went out to look at it again and I had left the key in the on position and the bottom of the solenoid was hot. I let it set for a min and tried once again to start it and it will now start with the choke on but it is like it is starving for air or fuel and runs poorly and then dies after about 10 seconds whether I leave the choke on or take it off. If I take it off and move it to the mid to high rpm position it dies immediately.

Old 06-27-11, 06:34 AM
Is it gravity fed fuel or a pump? Is fuel cap vented ok.

Old 06-27-11, 11:58 AM
problem solved...

I checked the fuel shut off and also the gas cap. The solenoid was fine and so was the gas cap. I opened up the valve cover again and discovered the intake push rod was improperly set and I redid it and it now works great. Thanks for the advice and it makes troubleshooting easier with 2 heads rather than one.