Re-Assembling a two stroke engine.

Old 06-27-11, 08:41 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re-Assembling a two stroke engine.

I'm going to rebuild a weedeater feather lite trimmer and would like to know if there is any timing to be done. I'm thinking that the flywheel's magneto should be aligned with the armature/coil assembly and the piston should be at top dead center when I put the head/cylinder back together? Is this correct?

Old 06-27-11, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Nope, there is no engine timing to be done. The featherlites were only $58 at walmart... not really meant to be repaired. You can, but there are other parts that are liable to have wear or not work too. In your other thread, you said the piston was scored. Chances are the cylinder is as well. Then, since those parts weren't sufficiently lubed, you should assume the lower end wasn't either, so you may have a bad crank bearing, bad rod bearing, and carburetor problems. A lot of work and risk for something you can buy for 3 twenty dollar bills. In other words: It's not practical in my opinion to repair it, unless you just want to do it for the experience.

Old 06-27-11, 10:20 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanx, Cheese and you're exactly right about the experience thing. That's why I'm doing it. Getting ready to retire and just doing this stuff for a "hobby" but as all of my "hobbies" I'm sure it won't be any profit in doing this.I've already re-built the carb and new plug etc. so just going the whole route for the hell of it.I've been reading most of the posts in this part of the forum and you're giving a lot of good instructions. Keep up the good work!!
Oh and yeah, the neighbor said he put regular gas in it just before it quit running!!!Go figure.

Old 06-27-11, 10:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
LOL... yeah, go figure...

Funny the effect regular gas has on a 2-stroke

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: