Riding Mower wants to die after 15 -20 of mowing...

Old 06-17-11, 05:34 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Riding Mower wants to die after 15 -20 of mowing...

Hi Folks,
Need some help here.
I have toro lawn tractor 16-38 hxl with a B&S OHV engine that when it gets warm, after about 15 -20 minutes of mowing wants to quit. It starts fine. I've replaced plug, checked and adjusted valves,. I thought it was a carb issue and replaced it, so I know its not the carb (24 hours old)or a fuel delivery thing.
When it starts to hint that it wants to die, I can stop the blades then the engine runs fine, can even drive it fine. When I think I can continue and engage the blades it wants to almost die quickly sputtering with a bit of popping. SO I press on the parking brake and notice that too saves the engine from dying.
Like many now a days money is tight, wife lost her job and I cant afford to have the mechanic fix. I had to throw $300 at it 3 years ago due the ethanol issue in the gas ruining the carb. Been good about using fresh stabilized gas.
Could this be some kind of safety switch realted to the blades engaging or the parking brake, that begins to fail when things get hot? I got it in 2003. I've been good in changing oil and all the typical matainenance.
I did see a switch that engages under the frame for the parking brake and I dont know where one like this is for the when blades to engage.

I notice that when I take the brake off or engage the blades upon starting, that the engine idle changes a bit as if more "load" is being placed upon it. Could his be a symptom of a switch barely engaging?
Again things are tight for me and I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts or reccomendations.
Thank you.

Old 06-17-11, 07:56 AM
M
Find the wire on the engine that grounds the ignition and disconnect it. This should tell you if it's in a saftey switch or is related to the engine itself.
Mike

Old 06-17-11, 08:42 AM
S
mla2ofus..Thanks. Would I then try and start the engine? What would I expect to see if it was a saftey switch from this test?

Old 06-17-11, 08:44 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Some of your symptoms could be ignition related. Check your spark plug wire connector for a tight fit of the metal connection to the top of the plug, not just that the boot is holding the wire in place.

Old 06-17-11, 09:17 AM
S
Goldstar..what might be the symptoms I wrote of that you think could be ingnition related? Just curious...Thanks

Old 06-17-11, 09:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Try loosening the gas cap. The cap vent may be plugged.

Old 06-17-11, 10:01 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"When it starts to hint that it wants to die, I can stop the blades then the engine runs fine, can even drive it fine. When I think I can continue and engage the blades it wants to almost die quickly sputtering with a bit of popping. SO I press on the parking brake and notice that too saves the engine from dying. "

Had a similar situation with my lawn tractor. When the engine got hot enough, the clip on the spark plug wire would expand just enough to make intermittent contact. This caused sputtering and stalling when the engine was loaded and eventually under no load. Worth checking that it is properly crimped and will cost you nothing but a minute of your time.

Old 06-17-11, 10:04 AM
S
Interesting. Thanks Goldstar..

Old 07-01-11, 06:43 AM
S
Hey to al lthose who replied to this thread--
I was eventaully discoverd that a bad safety switch to the PTO for the blades was on its was out and utlimately failed.
The rider mower stopped starting entirely and couldnt even been jumped t oget started.
I had a feeling it was electrical but that is like finding a needle in a haystack sometimes...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: