Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Boy Mower with Auto Choke chokes

ME

07-01-11, 10:18 AM   #1  
Lawn Boy Mower with Auto Choke chokes

I have a Lawn Boy mower with a Briggs & Stratton engine. Today, it was running fine, until it began to cough and sputter, then die. I removed the top (please see images at Untitled Document), and then restarted the mower, but as soon as it started to cough and sputter (which was almost immediately) I manually pressed the choke closed (or open -- I'm not sure which is which -- again, please see the images), it ran fine. When I released the choke, the engine died. Does this sound like a problem that can be DIY repaired? Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-01-11, 08:02 PM   #2  
Sounds like the carburetor needs to be cleaned out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

07-02-11, 07:33 AM   #3  
You might get lucky, if you can remove the carb bowl without removing the whole carb, 1/2" socket, I think the bowl nut is the main jet on that engine, then clean the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes at the bottom, one through the center, refer to pic below for reference, be very careful when reinstalling the bowl so as not to damage or misalign the bowl gasket or you will create further problems. Have a good one. Geo

ME

07-02-11, 12:07 PM   #4  
Thank you both. I will do that.

Search this Thread