i need a chain saw ...

Old 07-02-11, 08:41 PM
i need a chain saw ...

hello, fella's . i am in need of a chain saw. i am thinking i want a 18".
but honestly, idk if i will ever need to cut a 36" tree down.

i checked out the homelite ones at HD. seemed kinda cheap, handles.
then the echos. cheap handles. except for the $300 model. that looked pretty nice.

i had wanted to go too $200. but i guess $300 would be ok. if that puts me into a better bracket.

RELIABILITY is the key issue here !!!

for the most part it would be used to cut limbs/branches. but perhaps it would be used the fell a somewhat large tree. idk yet.

thanx for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-11, 08:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Echo would be the better choice by FAR. 18" is a decent all-purpose size. A cheap chainsaw is worse than no chainsaw.

Old 07-02-11, 09:36 PM
thanx, cheese (great handle, btw)

the echo is now at the top of the list.
all other opinions are welcome. as is any and all advice one keeping them running well and good.

btw. what kind of engine is in these ?

Old 07-03-11, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
I have had a couple inexpensive Poulan's that came from big box retailers and they have both run pretty well. The first lasted almost 6 years and the second is now 5 years old and still going. I've been keeping an eye out for my next saw so I am ready when this Poulan dies and I think I'll be getting a Stihl.

My two biggies for reliable chain saw performance are a sharp chain and clean fuel. Don't think that just because you got that chain last week that it is still sharp. Just one touch of the dirt or a rock can dull a chain. When you notice that you are making small bits of wood or sawdust instead of big flakes of wood, it's time for a sharpening.

Old 07-04-11, 07:22 AM
ok, i bought this one. i didn't start it, so i can still return it.
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

seems like a descent unit. mixed reviews, but you can't please everyone. it is made by poulan = someone in a review said it was, and it looked just like the poulan next to it, so.

i borrowed a craftsman from my boss last year. i cut down a good sized tree, and a smaller tree, with it, and cut them up.
the saw worked fine.

so as long as it "is" and "stays" reliable, it will do the job just fine.
i would be surprised if it cuts down 10 trees in its life with me.

if someone knows of some kind of issue with this saw. please speak up !!!

Old 07-04-11, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Here's one hint for any occasional use (like 1 x per year) gas equipment...esp 2 cycle. When you are done using it...clean it well, dump the gas, start the engine, run it dry. Add some mineral spirits and pump it through the lines.

Matter of fact...here's the thread where I asked the same things...http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...-chainsaw.html

Old 07-04-11, 07:46 AM
Thanx ! ............................................

Old 07-04-11, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you've never had a really nice saw before, then this one might satisfy you. If you've had a good one, this one will seem mediocre to poor. If you won't be cutting more than a small tree once in a while over the next 5 years, it will probably fit the bill.

Old 07-05-11, 05:55 PM
thanx, cheese. a "good" saw, what would that cost ? $800-$1000+ ?
but yeah. i won't likely be cutting anything large = over 30". i am hoping to be buying a house soon. and one of my requirements is that it doesn't have large trees in or close to it.

Old 07-05-11, 06:09 PM
Group Moderator
I have used many good and bad saws. If reliability is top I suggest getting a Stihl, Husqvarna or Jonsered. These three brands are by far the best I have used. (It is nice having inlaws that cut a lot of wood) They can get up into the $500 range for very powerful saws, but do have consumer level products in the $200-300 range.

IMO - I would never buy a Craftsmen that has an internal combustion engine.

Old 07-05-11, 09:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Personally, I'd buy a used, but taken-care-of stihl, husquvarna (jonsered), echo at a pawn shop before a craftsman for the same money. If you intend to cut down just one tree 20" or more, the difference between a craftsman (poulan) and a quality saw will be very very noticeable. You can buy something like a stihl ms 290 for a bit over $300 new, or for the same price as your craftsman at a pawn shop. It's a nice lower-priced stihl. A husquvarna 55 should be easy to pick up too. These are saws that last decades, not just years. My stihl 009 still runs like a new one at 25-30 years old. I think my husquvarna 61 is over 20 years old now too and it cuts loads of wood almost every year. I have a junk pile with loads of homelites, mccullochs, poulans, and craftsmans in it, many still fairly new looking.

I generally like Craftsman stuff, but not anything with a 2-stroke engine. I have seen some if not all of the new craftsman riders are being made by MTD now too, so if that's the case, I am no longer a fan.

Last edited by cheese; 07-05-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 05:28 PM
ok guys. thanx. let me chew on this for a while.

Old 07-11-11, 06:22 PM
ok, i found 2 STIHL'S

Stihl MS210C Chain Saw -LIKE NEW !! - $175. used 1 time it says. craigslist. but i can't configure my email to email the guy

Stihl ms210, ebay, local , $235, used 2 times. looks like new in the pics.

watcha think ?

Old 07-11-11, 06:31 PM
oh. sears has a 18 husqvarna for $250+tax = $275ish

Old 07-11-11, 07:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That stihl is a decent homeowner saw. It runs just about $300 new, and the one for $175 sounds good if it really is in great shape, and you can probably get it for $150. It will handle a 16" bar. I think you'd like it a heck of a lot more than a new poulan/craftsman. I can't say about the husqvarna at sears without knowing what model. Some of the lower priced husqvarnas were actually made by poulan, so you gotta watch out and make sure you are getting a sweedish saw.

Old 07-17-11, 07:09 AM
ok, guys. here is my choice. i got it for $290 bran new from a dealer ($369 list).
i could have got a ms250 for $250. but for $40 more, well............
this thing cuts !!! i used it some, nothing over about 6-7". and in just a few seconds those were history.

all cleaned up
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

little dirty.
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

is BRIGGS & STRATTON engine oil ok ?
any advice on mixing up partial amounts of fuel ?
just how picky are they on mix ratio ?

thanx for helping me spend my money.

Old 07-17-11, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure what you mean by Briggs & Stratton oil but it does not sound good. Use only the proper 2 stroke oil for your saw. Oil for a 4 stroke is formulated to stay in the case and lubricate while 2 stroke oil is designed to lubricate and burn without fowling. Using an incorrect oil is a very easy way to ruin a saw and void your warranty.

I have used Stihl's HP Ultra oil in all my 2 stroke engines for over a year without any trouble and I run all the engine's at the same fuel oil mix ratio. I no longer have different (32:1, 40:1, 50:1...) ratio fuel mixtures. Everything runs on the same ratio and so far I've had no troubles. It's expensive if you buy it in the little 2.5oz bottles but is much more affordable if you get the 8 pack of little bottles or one larger container. But, if you only use a gallon of 2 stroke gas/oil a year the cost is minimal.

Old 07-17-11, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
All I have to say (from my own experience) is...absolutely DO NOT use the universal mix stuff that says its good for any ratio at the same quantity. What I mean is...this amount will with a gallon of gas work in any engine. I'm not sure if thats what PD was saying...but it didn't work worth a darn for me. It was probably 15 yrs ago...and maybe the Stihl stuff is synthetic?

And I also had issues when I used a different brand (Craftsman vs Ryobi I think?) even when they were the same mix ratio.

Just need to be aware of any issues whenever you make a change.

Old 07-17-11, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Nice saw! I think your Craftsmen in the back is feeling a little out matched. Also note the open bottle of Old Style in the back.

Old 07-17-11, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Oh...I forgot to say....nice saw and nice deal!

Yeah...there's really no comparison. That Stihl will take a leg off so fast you wouldn't even feel it til you saw it laying on the ground beside you. The Craftsman would probably bog a bit once it hit bone....

I hope you get what I'm saying...eye, ear, and leg protection. Even cheap is better than none. Besides...makes you look like Ironman! lol

Old 07-17-11, 05:27 PM
the B&S oil is 2 stroke oil.
Amazon.com: Briggs & Stratton 2-Cycle Easy Mix Oil - 3.2 oz. 50:1 Ratio 100037: Patio, Lawn & Garden
... idk why i didn't get any oil when i bought, i guess i was thinking that i would rather find something easier to get.

that is not my CRAFTSMAN. it is sears. they just don't know it yet

Old 07-17-11, 05:53 PM
Use Stihl oil, per the mix ratio on the container, you will never have a problem, why spend $300 for a saw and ruin it with cheap oil. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-17-11, 05:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Easiest way for me to mix the oil / gas is to pour the oil into an empty gas can and add one gallon of regular. I usually add a bit of stabilizer, but that's optional.
That supplies my saw, weed eater and mama's mini tiller. Any mix left at the end of the season goes into my car.

Old 07-17-11, 06:16 PM
ok. i will get some stihl oil. but the dealers are hard to get to, they are only open while i am at work. the only reason i got my stihl's, is because of all the storms around here. the pro's are using/breaking their gear and the shop was open to get that work done.

Old 07-17-11, 06:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Much better saw. The price difference will be more than offset by reliability and ease of use. Use a good quality synthetic 2-stroke oil for best performance and longevity of the engine.

Old 07-17-11, 06:32 PM
Stihl oil comes in little six packs for 1 or 2 gallon applications, one stop will last you a long time. Have a good one. Geo

Old 07-17-11, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Much better saw. The price difference will be more than offset by reliability and ease of use.

Use a good quality synthetic 2-stroke oil for best performance and longevity of the engine.
thanx. it didn't cost as much as i thought to upgrade. so i am good with it.

see, thats the thing, and why i asked. idk what a "good quality" oil is. for all i know, they are all the same, just a different label on the container. i would much rather go to HD, lows, whatever, too get it. than having to make a real effort to get to a stihl dealer.
know what i'm say'n

Old 07-17-11, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Other than the stihl brand; amsoil, lucas oil, royal purple, and it seems like castrol all produce synthetic 2-stroke oil. There are other brands out there as well. I think you'd be safe using most any of them.

Old 07-17-11, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
I have an old 012stich saw that was leaking bar oil. Asked the Stihl dealer what could be the problem and he asked "what bar oil I was using?" I said "some generic oil" He told me to try some Stihl oil and I did. No more leak. Just saying.

that is not my CRAFTSMAN. it is sears. they just don't know it yet
Got it!

Old 07-17-11, 08:05 PM
thanx, cheese

Tolyn
the dealer told me that the stihl oil is made with a tackyness to it. that regular motor oil doesn't have. he said is keeps more of the oil on the chain. and this, i bet, is what keeps it from leaking.

Old 07-31-11, 04:04 PM
doc
For what it's worth, I've had a Stihl 18" for almost 20 years now. I don't remember what it cost back then - maybe $200 or so - but it's been worth every penny. Very reliable and cuts great.

Old 07-31-11, 05:07 PM
Group Moderator
I've just bought a Stihl 261 with a 20" bar. I'm used to a 12 pound saw so I did not want to go any heavier. I wanted 18" but my dealer had one on the shelf with a 20" and offered a better price for the longer bar. At least I won't have to bend over so far when limbing.

Out of the box it's more saw than I'm used to. It even torque rocks a little when revving. I can only imagine what it will be like once it's broken in. I've got a fair bit of work ready for it. Now I just need temps less than 100f to get the operator in the mood.

Old 07-31-11, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane View Post
I've just bought a Stihl 261 with a 20" bar. I'm used to a 12 pound saw so I did not want to go any heavier. I wanted 18" but my dealer had one on the shelf with a 20" and offered a better price for the longer bar. At least I won't have to bend over so far when limbing.

Out of the box it's more saw than I'm used to. It even torque rocks a little when revving. I can only imagine what it will be like once it's broken in. I've got a fair bit of work ready for it. Now I just need temps less than 100f to get the operator in the mood.
pics, or it didn't happen ....

Old 08-01-11, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
It does exist. Though I'm embarrassed to show it so clean and new. Some tools just do not look right without dirt and scratches.

Old 08-01-11, 02:56 PM
Group Moderator
Drool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-01-11, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well...you never said how much PD.....

Nice saw....but was it worth it?

Holy Crapola...I saw a price of $560 online.....you gotta be kidding!

Old 08-01-11, 07:32 PM
$690 round here. ouch. but has a lot of nice features.

nice

i think i would have got the 20" bar, only $10 more. but i doubt i would ever need it.
btw. my 18" bar actually has only 17 cutting inches.

Old 08-02-11, 03:18 AM
Group Moderator
I'll have to dig out the receipt since I can't remember the exact number but it was less than $500. For some reason about $480 is sticking in my mind.

Old 10-29-11, 07:15 AM
hey guys.

i am trying to find the post were, i think it was gunguy, said to use ???? in the gas tank to winterize.
i need to put this saw and my trimmer away for the winter. and i don't want any issues come spring time.

thanx