Gas powered air compressor questions

Old 08-04-11, 03:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas powered air compressor questions

I inherited this 14 hp, 30 gal. New gas compressor. I found out how to hook up a battery for electric start. How do these type of compressors regulate air. I have a 6.5 hp 60 gallon electric and I know how that works, but how do I get the air regulated??? I see a guage on the tank and a ball valve (3/4in.) Outlet. This is a twin cylinder two stage pump good for 175 lbs . I have read that the engine will go into idle mode when it gets to the pressure limit, just don't know how to set it.

Old 08-04-11, 04:36 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The machine has some kind of "unloader" mechanism that most commonly hold the intake valves (on the compressor) open so that no compression takes place. Some machines use a slightly different method but the suction unloader is most common. Controlling the unloader is a governor or pilot unloader that has an adjustable spring that when the set pressure is attained it allows compressed air to the suction unloader and when a set "differential pressure" below the "cut out" setting is attained by dropping air pressure in the receiver the suction valves are released to allow the compressor to again compress the air. This same pneumatic signal to the unloader also goes to a control that sets the engine throttle to idle or full load as required.

If you post a few pictures of the machine I can probably point out the governor/pilot unloader and maybe tell how to adjust it.

Old 08-04-11, 04:39 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I will take some pics. It is an Eaton compressor. I have contacted them, but response is very Nil. I asked for a operation manual but no response so that is why I am asking questons.Like a said I found out how to hookup the battery, but regulation is a question...Thanks for the response I will try to post pic tomorrow

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: