Thinking of Resurrecting Old Stihl Chainsaw

Old 07-23-11, 06:09 AM
Thinking of Resurrecting Old Stihl Chainsaw

You get what you pay for and I got two small abandoned McCullochs running again without any serious repairs or great cost, and meanwhile bought a new el-cheapo 36 cc 12" MCulloch. They got me through two seasons of firewood on a rural property, and removing small trees fallen over tracks, but the newie developed issues just after warranty expired and can see none of them are going to be long-term pals.

Time to move on to something better. Stihl sound interesting, and new is out of the question.

What's the availability of spare parts for older Stihls ? Was there a Toyota Corolla model, nothing fancy but capable of being kept going forever.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-11, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Stihl makes great saws but they don't like for diyers to have access to repair manuals and will only allow Sthil dealers to sell Stihl parts. Not all parts have to be OE parts. I bragged on Sthil for years until I started having problems with my last one. It seems to take forever to get parts - it might not be an issue in a bigger town. I now use a Husqvarna.

Old 07-24-11, 03:23 AM
That's useful information, thanks. OEM parts and reading manuals are always my very last resort.

From my reading it seems Husq make better big ones, and Stihl do little ones better.

You'll be the first to hear what happens next