Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How do I help my lawn mower run more easily?

MN

07-25-11, 02:47 AM   #1  
How do I help my lawn mower run more easily?

i just bought my Black and Decker cordless electric lawn mower this spring and it has started to slow down. It only slows when im actually cutting the grass. Until i figure out what the issue is (blade, motor, battery?) I would like to know if anyone knows whether mulching or bagging would be easier on it. Lawn health is not an issue as we get a lot of rain her (yes I wait until its dry before cutting) I have been mulching it as I go but i feel like the grass clippings are contibuting to my slowing blade. Can anyone offer their opinion? Would bagging contribute to its stress or relieve it? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

07-25-11, 07:58 AM   #2  
If it ran better when new, it could be the battery losing some of it's initial capacity. It could also be a dull blade, causing it to work harder to cut. You also may be trying to cut at a faster pace which would put more load on the blade.
Check the underside of the deck for buildup and clean it if clippings are caked up.
I would think that mulching, where the blade cuts the same grass many times while you are introducing new grass while pushing the mower would present more of a load than cutting it once and discharging it out a chute.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

Group Moderator

WI

07-25-11, 08:40 AM   #3  
Mulching might be more of a load on the mower but it's better for the grass, so I'd keep doing it.

I'd definitely take a look at whether the blade needs to be sharpened.

MN

07-25-11, 09:59 PM   #4  
Thanks for the replies. I tried attaching the bag instead of mulching and it practically works like new. Before I had to go turtle speed else the blade would stop moving. Strange issue but seems to be good now!

I have the option of just using the chute without the bag, I might try that next time to see if it works that way too - so I can keep the clippings on the lawn.

Group Moderator

WI

07-26-11, 04:55 AM   #5  
Mulching would be better but if it bogs down the mower, discharging out the side would be fine as long as you don't let the grass get too long between cuts.

Super Moderator

AZ

07-26-11, 06:27 AM   #6  
If its not too large a yard...discharge then go back over it in mulch mode.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

Group Moderator

WI

07-26-11, 06:52 AM   #7  
How large is your yard? I woudn't think a battery operated mower would be able to cut much on a charge.

PA

07-28-11, 10:43 AM   #8  
Most of today's battery powered mowers will run 45 minute to an hour on a full charge, enough time to buzz off a 1/3 to 1/2 acre lot. I'm thinking that cleaning it underneath and sharpening the blade will improve performance.

Search this Thread