Briggs & Stratton 5hp starved for fuel

Old 08-04-11, 08:42 AM
Briggs & Stratton 5hp starved for fuel

I have a Yard Pro rear tine tiller with a B&S 5hp (model 135202, type 023701, code 9412162D) engine. This model has the tank mounted carb; it has 2 pickup tubes that are in the tank. I replaced the carb (part # 498298) because the engine will run for 10 mins. or so and stop. It will not start without starting fluid or gas poured into the carb air intake and will run fine with starting fluid or gas poured into the carb. If the tiller sits overnight sometimes it will start and run for 10 mins again. The tank was cleaned last year, has new gas. I changed the carb because I ran out of ideas. The old carb had the same problem as the new one. The new carb matched exactly with the old one. The new carb came with a new gasket between carb and tank. My next step is to remove carb and tank; check the pickup for dirt and make sure the pickup is not too long for the tank (however, if either of these were the problem it wouldn't run for 10 mins.) It acts as if coming to operating temperature causes gas flow to stop. I can't think of anything that would cause this. Help!!

Last edited by edpent6; 08-04-11 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-11, 09:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does it have spark when it dies? Pull the plug and check, could be a failing coil.

Old 08-05-11, 02:34 PM
doc
Does it have a fuel filter?

Old 08-05-11, 04:53 PM
With it running ok hand feeding it, you may look at the fuel tank for dirt or fuel flow blockage (like a collapsed fuel line) or a plugged vent on the gas cap. You can check the latter just by loosening the cap at the start.

Search this Thread