Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ryobi Model RY28040 won't start

MO

08-06-11, 08:43 AM   #1  
Ryobi Model RY28040 won't start

I have a Ryobi trimmer, less than one year old, that was running great until about 2 weeks ago.

I have checked the plug, good spark and gap. Seems to be getting fuel, will not start or even sound like it wants to turn over in any position (full, half or no choke).

Help?!!?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-06-11, 11:14 AM   #2  
Did it just quit while you were using it? Does it have good compression?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MO

08-06-11, 11:24 AM   #3  
No. It sat for about a week. Then when I went to use it, it just would not start. Changed the fuel, checked the plug, etc to no avail. Spark is strong, but it acts like it is fuel starved. There is fuel on the plug after I prime it and pull the cord.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-06-11, 08:02 PM   #4  
If the plug is wet, it is flooded rather than starving. Dry it out, turn the choke off, give it full throttle, and pull 'till it starts (if it starts).

God bless!

MO

08-08-11, 01:16 PM   #5  
So, great assesment. thanks! Now, it will idle, but dies everytime i hit the gas. Also noticed that it seems like there is a lot of fuel in the prime bulb when it is running ( could be nothing, and I just noticed it). Also, there are a couple of adjustment screws on the carb, weird looking things, one has an "L" and one an "H". Assuming these are fuel adjustments?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-08-11, 06:08 PM   #6  
Fuel in the primer while running is normal.

The H screw is the high speed mixture adjustment. Try backing it out 1/4 turn or so and see if throttle response improves.

God bless!

Search this Thread