gas leak from muffler and air cleaner filter box - honda mower engine gcv190

Old 08-27-11, 12:23 PM
Angry gas leak from muffler and air cleaner filter box - honda mower engine gcv190

i've a Poulan / Electrolux 21" mower, 4~5 years old. Honda engine 190 cc, GCV190. Gas leaking to air cleaner ( filter ) box and, also dripping out of the muffler. The engine wouldn't start. Attached are some shots I just took.

What could be the reason for the leak and how do i go about fixing this? i am very basic in mechnical skills but do have necessary wrenches etc ( for basic oil chg for cars, spark plugs, simple brake pads) if I have to disassemble some parts.

Please advise - i already have two mowers taking up room in the shed so i don't need another.

thanks and be safe for those in the path or hurricane Irene.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-11, 05:30 PM
The carb is leaking and needs a kit put in it.

Old 08-27-11, 09:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, or it at least needs cleaning... could be a piece of debris keeping the needle from closing. The carb needle leaking is the reason for the gas leak.

Old 09-01-11, 07:13 AM
@bosean. I'm having a very similar issue with my briggs and stratton generator. Alot of places that i have checked online point to a dirty carb. You'll need to remove it, keeping track of any and all pieces, and clean every opening with a carb cleaner. Even soak it if you have to. Also, like the previous post said, might be a good idea to replace the needle and seat, and also make sure the float is 'floating' (no holes). Each of these pieces range from $2 to $4. If that doesn't work, then I'd say to have someone look at it.
Good Luck!

Old 09-12-11, 11:41 PM
I would suggest your problem is with the float inside the carborator bowl is not seating and shuting off the fuel. For the cost I would replace the float and the needle valve. And do take a photo of the carb linkage for reference and save yourself some grief.