opposed twin briggs won't start

Old 08-30-11, 09:36 PM
opposed twin briggs won't start

I have an older craftsman riding lawn mower #917.254320 B&S 402707 opposed twin cylinder. It will not start. The engine turns over, gas is getting to the carberator. I was mowing the yard and the lawn mower just died liked I turned off the ignation. I had the coil tested they said it was bad. I have installed a new coil. still just turns over but will not start. Yes I have checked there is gas in the tank.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-11, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you put the coil on right side up? Does it have spark?

I moved this post into a thread of it's own instead of tacked onto a 5 year old thread.

Old 08-31-11, 06:19 AM
Originally Posted by amac9999 View Post
I have an older craftsman riding lawn mower #917.254320 B&S 402707 opposed twin cylinder. It will not start. The engine turns over, gas is getting to the carberator. I was mowing the yard and the lawn mower just died liked I turned off the ignation. I had the coil tested they said it was bad. I have installed a new coil. still just turns over but will not start. Yes I have checked there is gas in the tank.

Thanks for any help.
I don't think there is a sure fire test for those coils. Some mowers have a seat safety which will ground the coil so have you disconnected the kill wire right at the coil to eliminate a problem in the safety circuit? And are you confirming no spark with a spark tester or grounded plug? Did you set coil gap to .010?

Old 08-31-11, 06:25 PM
Yes the coil is on right side up and yes there is spark. I got zaped by it!!!!!! I found a 15 amp fuse it did not look bad but I replaced it any way.

thanks

Old 09-01-11, 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by amac9999 View Post
Yes the coil is on right side up and yes there is spark. I got zaped by it!!!!!! I found a 15 amp fuse it did not look bad but I replaced it any way.

thanks
so with spark is it still a no start?

Old 09-01-11, 05:35 AM
Yes that is correct. Could the saftey switch under the seat be the problem? I know when the blades are in gaged or the clutch is not in gaged the system is completly dead nothing happens when the key is turned. That is not the case with the seat, in the past I could start the mower with out being in the seat.

Thanks

Old 09-01-11, 09:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it has spark, the safety switches are not the problem. Does it have compression? what if you put a teaspoon of gas into the spark plug hole? Will it start and run for a second or two?