briggs & stratton 10HP generator won't start

Old 09-03-11, 03:17 PM
Question briggs & stratton 10HP generator won't start

I have a model 030246 generator with a 10HP B&s OHV engine.
I used this 1 time after buying new and now it won't start after being stored with stabilizer in the gas.
Things I have tried so far;
-Drained out old gas and replaced with new, fuel line is not plugged.
-Checked spark of spark plug and tried on/off switch at the same time, both ok.
-check oil and it's ok
-removed carb and sprayed with carb cleaner-when I shake it I can hear the float moving, put that back on.
-removed OHV cover and made sure valves were moving by pulling starter cord slow with the switch off-they seem to be moving freely.
Tried putting a small bit of fuel in spark plug hole, put plug back in and it starts, runs about 5-10 seconds and quits, won't start again.
Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-11, 04:45 PM
Post the the "engine" model, type and code numbers and someone will get you going, even though there was stablizer in the gas was it ran long enough for the stablizer to circulate through the entire system and how long was it stored. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-03-11, 05:26 PM
One label has;
family-6BSXS.3422 HT 276454
Another bar code label next to it has 050830YE60981, these are all the other labels I could find-bought it at Lowes new several years ago.
It was run about 12 hours with stabil in the gas and it sat for about 2 years.

Old 09-03-11, 07:37 PM
It's a pretty typical varnish problem. Dump the gas out of tank and put in a quart of gas with about four ounces of Sea Foam additive (from auto parts store or Walmart. Let the carb bowl fill with gas/Sea Foam then spin it over about ten times with the choke on. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Then try to start it. If it starts, let it run for five minutes or so, then fill the tank on up with straight gasoline.

Old 09-04-11, 12:05 PM
Thanks, bought the seafoam and will give it a try. I'll let it sit overnight and try starting it tomorrow.

Old 09-05-11, 09:43 AM
It will not start after trying the sea foam.

Old 09-05-11, 11:31 AM
The model, type and code is usuall stamped in the metal engine shroud or valve cover. Have a good one. Geo
How to Locate Briggs and Stratton Model Numbers

Old 09-05-11, 04:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You took the carb off, but didn't open it if I'm understanding correctly, right?

If so, you almost fixed it, but not quite. You need to take the bowl off and clean the bowl and the main jet in the middle.

Old 10-29-12, 12:38 PM
It could be the low oil sensor

My Briggs and Stratton/Coleman 5000 watt generator would start for 10 seconds and die. I thought it wasn't getting enough fuel, so I replaced the fuel filter, took off and cleaned the carburetor, etc., with Hurricane Sandy bearing down on me, couldn't get it working. Finally saw a post about faulty low oil sensors. Even though I could see the oil is full, I took off the lead to the low oil sensor and it started right up, no problem. This might be why you are getting no spark. Try taking off the wire to the sensor and see if it starts up.

Old 10-29-12, 04:02 PM
Did you see the date on this Thread??? Well over a year old,,,be safe.