Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs and Stratton 19E412 will not start (no spark)

CT

09-05-11, 09:09 AM   #1  
Briggs and Stratton 19E412 will not start (no spark)

I let my brother-in-law borrow my generator after Irene. It is a 5000w Coleman with a Briggs and Stratton 10HP 19E412.0107.01 engine.

He had a problem with the recoil starter and took off the shroud. That is now OK, but we get no spark. I took out the spark plug----no spark. Put a bolt in the spark plug cable....still no spark. All wires and everything else looks intact. I took out the on-off switch and covered the connector with black tape. Still no spark.
Does this mean the coil is definitely bad? It has electronic ignition. I also disconnected the small connector with 2 wires from the back of the coil and turned over the engine and got no spark.

My stepfather was saying that the flywheel key could also be damaged. When I turn the flywheel by hand and put my finger over the open spark plug hole, I definitely get a blast of air, so I know the engine is also turning.
Thanks for your help.
Dave

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-05-11, 04:13 PM   #2  
If you get no spark with the kill wire removed from the coil and the coil is gapped at .010" from the flywheel magnet and the spark plug grounded, then the coil is bad. I wouldn't worry about the flywheel key, it will spark no matter if the key is sheared or not and I've never seen a generator shear a flywheel key.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CT

09-05-11, 05:27 PM   #3  
Let me give you the whole scoop, as painful as it is. My brother-in-law borrowed the generator. The next day he called and said he could not get the recoil starter to engage. I told him to remove the starter, not the shroud, as the shroud has the on-off switch as well as the air cleaner connected to it.
He removed he pull starter and was able to spray the clutch/pawls on the flywheel and get the starter engaged. Everything's good, right? The generator always starts on the first pull now.

On Saturday, his father-in-law comes over and says in order to reattach the recoil starter, they need to remove the shroud. He then proceeds to break the on-off switch. I get the generator back with a coffee can full of parts.
I manage to fix the switch and test it so that it has no continuity with the shroud when on but has continuity when off. I put everything back together, and the generator will turn but not start. I do not hear any combustion sounds, and the engine floods. I open the air cleaner and a small amt of gas squirts out onto the ground.
I now take everything apart and take out the spark plug. I do not see any spark. However, I was turning the flywheel by hand at this point. I disconnect all wire from coil and still do not see spark when turning flywheel by hand.
So I put the recoil starter back on...as I had been turning flywheel by hand. With hex area of spark plug touching metal of engine, I get spark. I'm at a loss as to why it would not start. I am going to put everything back together with a new spark plug.
Any other ideas?
Thanks again

Last edited by Dave4242; 09-05-11 at 06:51 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-05-11, 08:02 PM   #4  
Sounds to me like the engine is flooded. Turning the engine by hand may not spin it fast enough to create a spark all the time. I think you need a new plug and that may be all, but if the gas keeps blowing out the carb, the carb is flooding and may need cleaning.

God bless!

CT

09-06-11, 04:01 AM   #5  
back together today and give it another try. It just seems odd that it was working great last week (starting on one pull) and now all of a sudden, it's not

CT

09-06-11, 02:03 PM   #6  
OK Cheese. I'm getting closer! I put the double wires back on coil (one goes to on-off switch, and the other tiny black wire goes to ?governor? spring loaded mechanism under carb). There is another wire that then goes from there to the oil sensor. When the wires that are together in the spade clip on coil are reattached, no spark. When I disconnect that spade clip from coil, I get spark.
I have removed on-off switch and covered its connector in tape. The generator is full of oil (I checked). What is the tiny wire that goes from coil to governor do? I see no obvious breaks in insulation. Is there any way to see if low oil sensor is defective? I removed wire from it, and no spark when spade clip is attached to coil.

Update: I put it all back together with new spark plug and left wires from coil detached. Started first pull. I don't want to leave it this way in case something goes wrong with oil level.

Last edited by Dave4242; 09-06-11 at 02:42 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-06-11, 09:16 PM   #7  
If the oil is in fact full, then it sounds like the sensor is bad.

God bless!

CT

09-07-11, 03:28 AM   #8  
I don't want to overfill oil. I can see it in fill pipe next to sensor. When there is no dipstick, just these small fill pipes, do you just fill it until oil drips out of the pipe?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-07-11, 10:03 AM   #9  
Fill it until it's close to the top, while making sure the engine is fairly level.

God bless!

CT

09-07-11, 02:15 PM   #10  
Just wanted to update you. I put everything back together and ran the unit with the oil sensor disconnected. I then reconnected the oil sensor with the machine running, and it continued to run. I'm not sure if it was stuck and somehow was freed or what. But everything seems to be OK. Thanks again.
Dave

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-07-11, 05:05 PM   #11  
Great! Glad it's fixed.

God bless!

Search this Thread