toro snowthrowers

Old 01-06-01, 03:22 PM
Unhappy

I have a Toro model 38052, serial #8011153, 521 snowthrower which I purchased in 1987. During the cleanup of the last snow event my blower discovered(?) a stick in the snowdrift. Since then, the auger on the unit is not working properly. Won't auger! The impeller works fine and will still throw snow. I have replaced the auger drive belt and retentioned with negative improvement. There also seems to be a lot of looseness to the auger, side to side. I believe that my problem lies in the front transfer case. My question is there any relatively easy way to repair this ? Can it be done, are front end (auger,impeller parts available) ? I have tried several websites and get nowhere, and Toro says only to bring it to a repair shop.
The last time I did that I was told the machine I bought in was unrepairable and I should buy a new one. Guess what, after buying I fixed the old one for 10 dollars! So you see how much confidence I have in my local Toro shop.
The engine and unit are fine and strong and I can't afford a new unit. Any suggestions, directions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-01, 05:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Lightbulb Rental Yard

Hi:Bob M

Sorry to learn that the local Toro dealer didn't want to fix your machine. Shops like that one cause far too many good repair shops to be thought of in a negetive light, as you now do and for good reason.

Well enough on that subject. Time for me to offer you a possible suggestion or two and get off the soap box...haha

The machine you have isn't that old that parts aren't available. The objective here is to locate the required parts and any service tips needed for the R&R of the parts.

Since the local Toro dealer didn't help you prior, no need to go there. Try another small engine repair shop.

Also stop in at the local rental yard. Rental yards also have access to parts suppliers. Your offer to pay for any parts you need plus cover there costs for shipping and handling should be exceptable to them. They might even offer you service tips and advice.

The auger has a side to side movement, which is called thrust. Both ends of the auger are supported on bearings. There are most likely thrust shims at each end of the auger. One inside the transfer case and one on the support side. That stick the auger located may have collapsed or damaged those thrust shims, bearings or other parts.

Hope this suggestion and information helps you.

Old 01-06-01, 05:28 PM
Thumbs up Toro snowblowers

Thanks Tom;
You did give me information I needed to know. I wasn't sure if there were shims (shear pins?) in the auger or not. I neglected to state in the previous post that it will faintly auger, but nothing with a load. That leads me to believe that the engine vibration is moving the auger. Do you know of a site, or is it available, for a exploded diagram of the snowblower so as I can further trouble shoot this problem?
I know most good repair shops have them on the old finch cards to read and refer to ( remember the transparencies you put on viewer and wasted 10 minutes orientating yourself to as to where the hack are you on this machine!)but I was wondering if you knew a source outside of the shops on the open market. Again thanks for your help.

Old 01-06-01, 08:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Post Finch Cards

Hi:Bob

I sure do remember those finch cards. I spent lots of earned income buying the new ones too. Now they too are obsolete. However, I still have the viewer, for old time sakes.

In todays times, everything is now on a CD ROM. Fact is: Everything ever made by huge companies like caterpillar, john deere, toro and briggs, to name a few, is on one CD the company issues.

I am not aware of any web site with the information your requesting. I honestly never bothered to search for those type of sites either. Possibly someone else will visit this forum and read this posting and offer you help in that area.

Glad I was able to offer you some help. Which just gave me another idea. Check at the local library for the information. Hopefully you can checkout a repair manual for the brand you have or one in general for the snowblower.

Good Luck,
Tom

Old 01-06-01, 09:10 PM
toro snowblowers

Tom;
Thanks again for your help. I'll research further and if I do find anything relevent, I'll let you know where it is obtainable. Thanks again for your help.

Old 01-07-01, 07:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking Something's "fichey" :)

Yup, I remember those old fiche. I still use them at work, as some automotive parts suppliers STILL produce microfilm. Good old Bell and Howell (everyone but Ford) and NCR (Ford).

Most companies have moved to CD-ROM, as it stores everything with less hassle and faster access. Some car companies have put their parts catalogs on the web (Hyundai and Kia as I posted in the auto forum).

Bob: Call Toro direct (or e-mail them, or do both) and ask for the manual for your model. My 1980 version of the "Power Shovel" came with some good DIY tips on how to change the shear pins, bearings, as well as an exploded view of all available parts. My grandfather gave me a Toro "bump and feed" trimmer, and when I called for the availability of the spool, the order taker said, "I'll just send you one no charge". THANKS!!!!!! I think I might have e-mailed them before I did that, it was a long time ago. I think that my unit is missing a spring somewhere though, as it does not bump and feed as well as the Craftsman I have.

You should still be able to order this booklet from Toro. It shouldn't cost but a couple of bucks. Ask Toro (or go to their website) to see if they can send you the PDF (Adobe Acrobat Portable Data file) of the manual. I did this with Briggs & Stratton and was able to get the parts breakdown and the engine operation manual for free through them. When I had a problem downloading, they just offered to send me the printed version for free. So, now I have two, one electronically and one in hard copy. .

I know what you mean about "unrepairable" Back in 1980, my dad and grandfather bought a Black and Decker hedge trimmer at a garage sale for 3 bucks. I remember going with them. The owner said, "Nah, you'll never get it working...it's burned out inside...good for parts". My dad and grandfather took it apart (no brushes left, installed a new brush) and fixed a burned wire. Twenty-one years later and a half hour's worth of repair time, it still works like new. .

As I have posted, Sears does this with all of their products that have serviceable parts (www.3sears.com). Perhaps Toro has this. Worth looking into.

I agree with Tom to find a better shop that can handle you and your DIY requests. You sound like you need a good view of the internals of the machine to figure it out. Usually after studying it long enough you can get it working. Become a regular customer at one particular place and they will get to know you and be more willing to help. A parts house is more willing to go the extra mile for good customers.

My local appliance parts depot owner turned out to go to school with my mother. When I went there to buy a part for the stove, and my mother commented on how old his shop was (in a kind and quaint way), it turns out they know the same people. Lol. Small world.

Something cheap and dumb is wrong with this thing, I'm positive!!

Good luck and post your results.

Old 01-15-01, 02:39 PM
Lightbulb toro snowblowers

Hello Folks!
Just thought that I would post here the results of my search concerning the impeller problem. So far I have had negative results with some locals other than " bring it in and we'll look at it any credit the charge to the repair or a new machine." I can see where that is leading already!
I have contacted Toro, on the telephone, and they were very receptive. The Thrust pins are intact and the impeller axle doesn't turn when engaged, therefore the problem appears to lie in the gear box. It appears that ther are several involved parts in the box. I am awaiting the parts catalog and instructions that are being sent from Toro.I want to have them in hand before opening the box so that I will be able to have a idea where the part(s) that fall out come from! Hope they gat here before the next big snow!!!!
Will post additional information at a later date. Thanks again to all those who posted information in response to this question.

Old 01-25-01, 12:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Tom,

I just had this exact problem with my Simplicity blower. It turned out to be the adjustment right on the linkage that connects from the hand lever that engages the auger. If the linkage is too slack, the auger will move only slowly or not at all. There is usually a turnbuckle with two threaded rods connecting. Simply turn the turnbuckle until all slack is removed from the linkage. The drive friction will increase causing a proper torque to the auger.

Old 01-25-01, 10:48 AM
Unhappy toro snowthrower update

Hello all;
Dbfam thanks for the suggestion but that was one of the first things that I suspected. I had replaced and retensioned the auger belt with no success.
After conferring with Toro, reviewing the schematics and eyeballing the insides, there was only one course of action left. The rebulid kits for the auger drive are not exactyly cheap (or readily available in my area). Also, after the review,further research and inventory, I found that I no longer have available to me some of the required items necessary and for a one time use doesn't make sense to purchase them. I managed to find a local small repair shop (previously unaware of) that is Toro authorized and conferred with them. They do seem familiar with the machine and diagnosed it as the impeller gear box ( so far so good!!).The problem in the box is that the gear drive and the worm drive no longer mesh. This is do to age and wear.The machine is over 13 years old! As a the price is around 400USD for a new assembly and installation and over 1100USD for a new machine, I am seriously considering their off. Nothing else is wrong with this machine.
What I would like to know,is the 400USD a fair and accurate ballpark figure for that work. I realize in different parts the rate structure will vary but I am in the lower NY area. Any replies appreciated.

[Edited by Bob M on 01-25-01 at 01:54]

Old 01-25-01, 12:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ask for the charges regarding the labor per hour, and the parts. Then, you can compare. Price is not always the best factor here. You might be bringing it in again in a year after a shoddy repair, so be cautious. 400 bucks might be reasonable depending on the time and parts involved to do the repair. Tough to visualize without seeing the machine and what has to come apart. Figure at minimum it's 50 bucks an hour labor to do it. Tom Bartco probably can furnish more on this area than I can.

I'm sure the parts are readily available on the web or over the phone from Toro. I can't see more than a week's time between your call and the receipt of the parts for the unit. Any company I have contacted has been more than expeditious in sending parts once an order is received. Toro was quick as I recall when they sent me the spool (and it was no charge).

My neighbor has a Craftsman gas blower that he paid 600 bucks for new, that I use (since I do his property..he has a heart condition and shouldn't be doing it, so I do it for him). Sears wanted 200 a year to keep the service contract.

As long as he has the owner's guide (which he does), I told him I will do the servicing on the unit at year's end and before each season to assure peak operation. That way he can save some money.

Old 02-09-01, 12:07 PM
Talking toro snowblowers

Hello Folks!
Just thought that I would pass along a piece of information here regarding these snowblowers. I have found a book in the local library that is updated and published yearly by a national publishing company. It is called the INTERTEC Publishing company and their book includes exploded diagrams of all commonly used snowblowers. It also has trouble shooting and repair tecnhoques for Briggs and Statton and Tecumseh engines.
Great reference. I was told almost all public libraries will have them. They are also available for other pieces of commonly used equipment. It is worth a peek. Just thought I would pass this along for informational purposes.

Old 02-09-01, 12:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good information Bob. Hopefully it will help you get this thing going. Did you get it fixed?

Exploded views are worth a million bucks in my book. I recently found a Snap On air rachet in the street (yes, found)and I called Snap on and they e-mailed me the exploded view of it.

Through that and some help from some great coworkers, along with 40 cents in O-rings, it works like a new tool. The kicker? Snap On still sells this model in their catalog and it retails for about 280 dollars.

I like to obtain and keep all the owner's manuals for everything I own. Any parts I buy for them are stapled to the owner's manuals so that I have a record of what I did to them, and where to get parts, etc.

What is the name of the book? I'll look for it in my public library. I have found similar books regarding other things like house appliances, etc. Also, I have found that most companies send the information free if they have it electronically, and most will send it free via hardcopy if they are a good company.

Good luck and let us know.

Old 02-14-01, 10:18 PM
Smile toro snowblowers

Hi Joe;
Sorry for delayed response. The easiest thing, concerning this book, is to go to the library and name search for the subject you need, ie; the type of appliance. Then look for the name of the publishing company. It is the INTERTEC PUBLISHING CO. They have several manuals out for different pieces of commonly used machinery.
I also keep the receipts attached to the manuals as price and availability references. In addition, I maintain a small rolodex with the same information on it for reference and also a small notebook with any work that I have done on the things I own. Simple headings like maintenance schedules,(oil changes,pluges), date of work, any problems and remedies I encountered. If room I list (again)price and where I obtained the part. Redundancy (?)Yes(!), but I don't believe I want to be like the commercial and lose all my numbers. I don't think that James Earl Jones will slide out and help me get a number.
As for my own snowblower, still awaiting parts. It seems with this winter there are a lot of down blowers. Long wait for parts from Toro. Can only hope heavy snows hold off or else I am going to have a very sore back at the end of this year!!

[Edited by Bob M on 02-15-01 at 01:28]

Old 02-20-01, 06:37 PM
Post toro snowblowers

Just thought that I would post the results of my repair odessey. It seems that Toro no longer sells individual parts for the Auger gear box and that the section is sold as a completed unit ( Shaft, box). Also requires a new impeller, as the shaft dimensions are changed. Another glitch appeared to be a manufacturing error where the shafts were made erroneously, 1" longer than specs. Also, Toro will only ship these to a authorized dealer. I guess franchise protection was the order of the day here, as was to be expected.

Old 02-20-01, 09:59 PM
Admin Emeritus
Talking Positive Note....Thanks

Hi:Bob M

Thanks for the latest update on the snowblower topic Bob. Sorry your having a $#@#$#% time with that machine.

Don't be ...mad

Positive notes,... for whatever value this is worth, you hit an all time record high in this forum.

37 replies and 137 views on one topic... EXCELLENT!

Thanks!

Regarding the continued effort to find the needed parts, I suggest you do as I recommended in my first posting reply. Visit the rental yards.

Rental yards can keep old machines running for years somehow. Possibly they know of a place where outdated, obsolete and used parts are available.

I located some parts, just last year, for a 1962 Sears 15 horsepower 2 cycle outboard motor, which was orginally made for Sears by McCulloch, simply by calling the Sears office.

Two of the parts needed some minor machining work to fit but in the end, the outboard is now running well...:-)

Old 02-21-01, 03:05 PM
Talking toro snowthrowers

Salute Tom!
A record? WOW, that's a lot of hits!!!! I guess that a lot of people must be interested in snow thrower problems! Anyway, relented and went to a dealer/rental and received a good price for letting them hassle with Toro on the problem parts. They actually had to send two assemblies back and had more to go back to them because of the out of specs. manufacturing problem. But mine is back, and running, so there will sadly be no more posts by me here, on this subject anyway!!!
As for getting angry! I gave that up, saw no future in it. Anger never gave me anything but agita and ulcers. As the song said "Don't worry, be happy!". I figure the machine lasted 13 years before this problem, so I figure I have another 13 to go, as long as I don't find anymore objects in the damn snowdrifts!! LOL!!!
As
Thanks for your help!

[Edited by Bob M on 02-21-01 at 06:11]