Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Huskee Y1844E steering problem

MI

09-09-11, 08:28 AM   #1  
Huskee Y1844E steering problem

This lawn tractor has given many years of service without many problems, however for the second time I'm having steering problems. Ironically enough after examing the sector gear, and steering shaft gear, both look in good shape. The problem seems to be that I notice that the two gears won't engage. It's like the sector gear keeps moving to prevent contact. Is there an adjustment for this problem, or is worn and needs replacing?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-11, 10:12 AM   #2  
I made this post into a thread of it's own, rather than tacked onto an older thread about a different mower.

Actually, after looking for your model, I don't even see that model made by huskee. Looks like a husqvarna model#.
Looking that number up for huqvarna, I see it has similar steering to the craftsmans in the thread you posted this to. Did you check out the parts mentioned in the thread?

Here is the parts diagram: http://www.superxpower.com/pages/Oem...2fDATA03840047

Here is the thread about this type of steering: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...g-problem.html

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

09-09-11, 11:12 PM   #3  
Hey cheese, thanks for responding! My Huskee is made by American Yard Parts. They can talk all day long about parts, but when I start asking questions, I get ignored. I still haven't gotten an answer for: It's like the sector gear keeps moving to prevent contact. Is there an adjustment for this problem, or is worn and needs replacing? I can clearly see the sector gear, but it looks out of place and of course if it's not lining up with the steering shaft gear you're going nowhere. That's why I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the gears

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-11, 11:31 PM   #4  
No, there is no adjustment. The parts mentioned in the thread are the ones you need to inspect and/or replace to fix your problem.

Just for clarification, and to avoid confusion, AYP does not make Huskee. MTD makes Huskee. AYP (American Yard Products) makes Husquvarna.

God bless!

MI

09-12-11, 10:19 AM   #5  
Well of course there's no adjustment!! That would make things too easily corrected. Yes, I've already printed the diagram, have gone out in the barn and compared it to what I've got, and it's exact. Now, if I may, bother you with one more question. From the diagram and what I actually see, do I have to remove the bracket that holds the pitman shaft to take this assy apart??? Thanks sweetheart, I'm learning a lot from you. It's just these damm 4 acres that's so demanding!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-12-11, 03:57 PM   #6  
Yes, the 4 bolts holding the bracket on have to come out. Take them out, take the drag link nut off at the pitman shaft arm, take the steering wheel off and the bushing on the dash where the steering column goes through and get the steering assy. out of the machine where you can work on it.

God bless!

MI

09-16-11, 05:08 PM   #7  
Well Cheese, I lucked out, all I needed was shim washers and a lock key! When the sector gear and the steering gear get out os synk, your just can't turn the wheel and do anything! There was enough play in the pitman arm that I managed to put two thin shims inside the bracket, one on the outside, and then the lock key. Wala! Thanks for your help, cheese, God bless you!

Search this Thread