Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Time to Buy a Snowblower

NC

09-11-11, 01:49 PM   #1  
Time to Buy a Snowblower

Hello all:
Time of life when I need to stop shoveling. I would prefer a gasoline over electric, don't like long cords etc. About 20 feet of driveway and 100 feet of sidewalk. I found a couple of useful threads suggesting Briggs motors and parts store close by. Home Depot is real close, Sears a ways away. We usually have 3 inches of snow at most, but 3 feet in 2010. Something reliable. I would prefer something I can push like a lawn mower. Any reply's appreciated, I know zilch about snowblowers.

Sponsored Links

PA

09-11-11, 08:13 PM   #2  
Well like most things, you get what you pay for. I'd recommend Ariens, Simplicity, Toro and Honda. These machines are gonna cost more than say Troy-Bilt, Yardman, and Sears. For those ocassional 3 foot snows, I'd be looking at a 2 stage about 24" wide, but if you only see those rarely, for the 3 inch storms, you can use the single stage paddle machines which cost a lot less.

MA

09-16-11, 05:58 PM   #3  
Speaking of Ariens

Maybe you can help me decide between two low-end Ariens throwers (cannot justify anything more expensive)

1. model 939401: 208cc, 1 speed, 20 in.
2. model 920404: 136cc, 6 speeds forward, 24 in.

The first one has a better engine, but there is a bad buyer's review at homedepot.com about a shredded plastic drive gear. Is the review credible? Has the problem been fixed this year? The second one is obviously underpowered, but has low gears that should get me through heavy stuff. My driveway is short and I am willing to spend extra time clearing it. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks!

Group Moderator

WI

09-19-11, 07:00 AM   #4  
I would go for the biggest, most powerful one you can justify. The lower gears, IMO, mean nothing - it's the engine and the auger doing the work, the gears are just how fast the machine moves across clear ground.

Search this Thread