Older Sears mower transaxle

Old 09-27-11, 09:11 AM
Older Sears mower transaxle

I bought an old Craftsman 19HP 42" mower( 917.270773). I am new to riding mowers so bear with me. I got a rear flat tire and was headed out of town so I only had time to lift the rear tires about 1-2inches off the ground and take the tire off. Now 2 weeks later and a fixed tire it wont go forward or backward. It make a high pitch squeak and if Im lucky it will inch forward a little. The owners manual has no help on this issue. Any tips would help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-11, 09:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You lost the key that goes in the wheel at the axle. Look where ever you had the wheel laying and where it rode when you went to town. There is a piece of 1/4" keystock about 2 1/2" long laying somewhere where it fell out of the wheel. Maybe right where you took the wheel off. Put it back in and you'll be fine.

Old 09-28-11, 09:16 AM
Group Moderator
If you can't find the key it's pretty standard/generic material. Most welding or machine shops should be able to help you out. You can also order key stock material online and just cut it to the length you need.

Old 09-29-11, 02:35 PM
I found it and re-installed it and it looks like it will work. Thanks for the great tip

Old 10-02-11, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem, Glad to help!

Search this Thread