engine shuts down under load

Old 09-29-11, 07:23 PM
engine shuts down under load

I have a12.5 hp B&s engine on a craftsman riding mower about 10 years old. It runs fine but shuts down as soon as I apply any load. I have cleaned the air filter and spark plug, and sprayed carb cleaner in the intake with no result. I have adjusted the carb as far as the stops will allow. the engine stalls as soon as I take pressure off of the clutch.. Any good Ideas?? ED

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-11, 09:29 PM
If it just dies suddenly that could be a safety switch.

Old 09-30-11, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, sounds like a seat safety switch problem. Try plugging the connector on tighter.

Old 10-01-11, 10:07 AM
Thanks a safety switch would be a simple soution to a vexing problem. I won't be at the cottage for a couple of weeks, and i'll give it a try ed

Old 10-01-11, 07:55 PM
Not a safety switch, if it was, it would not even start. Sounds like it a carb issue, starving itself of gas.

Old 10-01-11, 08:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by pete59edsel View Post
Not a safety switch, if it was, it would not even start. Sounds like it a carb issue, starving itself of gas.
Wrong, if it was a seat switch, it will start.

Old 10-02-11, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Wrong, if it was a seat switch, it will start.
Well I beg to differ, but I have been wrong before. Either way, he can ride it for a lil till it does what he says, so I still believe it is a carb. issue. We need to see what he comes up with and go from there. Plus he wanted good ideas. Carb. rebuild.

Old 10-02-11, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure, it could have a carb problem, but the symptom here is pointing to seat switch. He doesn't say it can be ridden, he says "it stalls as soon as I take pressure off the clutch". This translates to "it dies as soon as the clutch switch is deactivated". When you let off the clutch, the kill circuit passes through the clutch switch and runs to the seat switch. If someone is on it, it doesn't kill the engine. Since edfndy says it runs fine, I would tend to not go tearing into the carburetor when the symptoms point elsewhere. After working on mowers 23 years, part of that for Sears on craftsmans like the one in this post, moderating this forum over 10 years, and running my own shop for the past 13 years, I've learned a couple of things and try to share them with others on this site. Sometimes I am still wrong. I will add that rarely does a newbie with 2 posts come in and make themselves welcome in your fashion.

Old 10-16-11, 03:10 PM
problem solved, I disconnected the seat safety switch years ago, and taped the switch button down. The tape wore out and released the button. After retaping the button the tractor ran well and allowed me to mow. Thank all of you for your help. ED

Old 10-16-11, 04:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great to hear! Thank you for the update and glad you got it going!

Search this Thread