Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

chainsaw won't work...??

RI

10-01-11, 05:10 PM   #1  
chainsaw won't work...??

I have a Husqvarna 288 chainsaw. Pretty old, maybe 20 years? Has the 20" chain i believe. tore the darn panels off and looked for things that might be wrong. it was sitting around for about a year without use. tried cleaning it up a little, adding a little gas to the block (spark plug hole) and little in the intake, and she fires up after a few pulls. i notice the starter switch wire is a little loose (as well as the ground) so i try to tighten them what i can.

then i put it all back together and nothing. just a lot put-putting. tried taking muffler off in case of bad back pressure, tried adding gas again, tried wiggling the wires a bit. I'm just at a loss because i got it turned over twice when it was in pieces. any ideas would be great thank you

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

MN

10-01-11, 08:12 PM   #2  
First thing to check is for spark. If you have no spark then something is grounding itself out. After spark is fuel.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

10-02-11, 04:00 AM   #3  
Then after all what Scott says, is air. You could have an occluded air filter or, if it is putt putting, the choke could be closed too long. Sitting up also causes carb problems, which would require a rebuild of the carb.

Search this Thread