Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Daughter and SIL Need Snowblower

MN

10-15-11, 08:50 AM   #1  
Daughter and SIL Need Snowblower

They live near the Twin Cities, driveway is 3 cars wide by 2 car lengths long, not too big plus the sidewalks.

They want to spend around $800 if possible so she was thinking Craftsman. Well...I was looking at them yesterday and they seem to be under-powered to me. They have a 24" @ 179cc and a 26" @ 208 cc. Even my old Toro is 8hp @ 24" so I don't know what to tell her.

Reading here many people mention Ariens. Did some checking and found this one near her house. If she can get it for $800 for the 24" with a Briggs engine, I'm thinking this would be the way to go. This is in the 'compact' series so I'm not sure just what that means.

http://mn-equipment-solutions-inc.ar...spage/compact/

Comments welcome!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

10-17-11, 06:42 AM   #2  
I bought mine at Menards almost ten years ago and it works great - 8 hp. Out where I am, the wind blow something fierce so I wanted to make sure I had enough power to deal with that. The old man lives in the city and 5 hp suits him just fine.

NY

10-17-11, 09:44 AM   #3  
With an $800 budget, you won't find anything new in that price range other than at a box-store. All I can say, again with that budget, is make sure you find one with Briggs engine, not an MTD engine. Another avenue you might consider is a used machine - but beware of what you are buying! If you don't know what to look for then enlist the assistance of a friend who can guide you and lend a hand inspecting any such used machine.

MN

10-17-11, 11:03 AM   #4  
Checking today the differences between the Compact 24 and the Deluxe, slightly smaller impeller and auger, smaller tires and engine, 205cc vs 250cc.

Called the dealer I mentioned and he did confirm: $799 + tax, Polar Force engine by Briggs (Compact 22 has a Chinese engine ). I asked about the hp and he said he heard 7 or 8, closer to 7 he thought. Probably closer to 6.5 me thinks.

Considering the small area they have to blow, dealer nearby, I'm gonna recommend this to her. Now if she can get the moths out of her husband's wallet.

Thanks Gents!

NY

10-18-11, 10:01 AM   #5  
Another important factor in your buying decision should be whether or not you have a local servicing dealer; you need one for parts, warranty service and service after the warranty, should you need it. Go with the Deluxe!

MN

10-18-11, 10:53 AM   #6  
Go with the Deluxe!
If it was me, you bet. I didn't realize the Deluxe is only $130 more. I'll pass that on.

This dealer is only about 20 miles from their house so that would work.

Thanks

MN

10-28-11, 04:36 PM   #7  
Her husband went and picked up the Deluxe 26 yesterday. I think they'll be happy with it.

It is so quiet! And it moves so nice. Starts right up. Awesome. Brandon said, it'll be so easy even you can snowblow. Nice. Lol

Thanks

Search this Thread